Coral food that not increase phosphate level?

Chandlertank108

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, just wondering what everyone use to feed corals? I like to spot feeding my corals with reef roid, but I notice that after feeding my Po4 level will increase significantly. For example like after yesterday feeding my Po4 level jumped from 0.06 into 0.30. I want my Po4 level to be more steady for most of the time. Currently I have a bag of rowaphos and most of the time it will need like 5 to 6 days to bring the level back to 0.04 . Any tips on feeding and best food to use to get more stable Po4 level? Thank you

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far all the coral foods I've used (reef chili, reef roids, etc.) have raised phosphates, but I don't mind temporary spikes personally. I also only broadcast feed one time a week. Following out of interest.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing amino acids would not affect phosphate levels at all. It could increase nitrates some as many enzymes will cleave the N off of the amino acid to use the carbon backbone.

OP
OP
Chandlertank108

Chandlertank108

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing amino acids would not affect phosphate levels at all. It could increase nitrates some as many enzymes will cleave the N off of the amino acid to use the carbon backbone.
Any recommendations of amino acid brand? I hear about redsea ab+, and actually try to get one of those

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used acro power and been happy. I’m not sure what the science would say on amino dosing - which acids and how much? Brightwell has an amino acid product... I often try to support them because they are honest regarding their ingredients. Some companies have “mystery bottles” essentially

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The science is relatively young with regard to amino acid dosing and coral growth/coloration (also, it's hard to make blanket statements on specific essential amino acids as different species of coral respond differently to different amino acids). Lots of tidbits here and there and anecdotal evidence for/against changes related to dosing.

However, if you want a pretty good summary of amino acid dosing that's not too technical, I find this video from Tidal Gardens to be pretty good:

OP
OP
Chandlertank108

Chandlertank108

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The science is relatively young with regard to amino acid dosing and coral growth/coloration (also, it's hard to make blanket statements on specific essential amino acids as different species of coral respond differently to different amino acids). Lots of tidbits here and there and anecdotal evidence for/against changes related to dosing.

However, if you want a pretty good summary of amino acid dosing that's not too technical, I find this video from Tidal Gardens to be pretty good:

Thanks

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CoralAmino-Free-Form-Amino-Acid-Supplement-for-Corals-500ml-Brightwell-Aquatics-99.jpg

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with the aminos, I am currently using the red sea ab+ but not too crazy about it though. Going to try brightwell next because I hear a lot of great things about it.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 112 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back