Coral fragging?

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never fragged my own corals. I know there is a lot of money in this. Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this. I will post a picture of my tank.

25092ea7c57cb6029919e90ce96a549b.jpg

dana_rod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be the first to comment since I'm sure there are many with much more experience but I can at least share what has worked for me. If it is a branching lps or sps such as a hammer or a birdsnest for example, I have just used nail cutters for lack of a better description such as this:
e10234e31532b9c16ff98853b40a22f4.png

They are really sharp and cheap. You can find them next to the nail polish in the pharmacy lol.

In the case of palys or zoas it's always good to get under them and take a bit of the surface rock with them to inflict minimal damage to them, which equals less recovery time. If you are able to remove the rock they are on from the tank you can use a chisel and a hammer to tap under them or remove a section of rock. Alternately a dremmel can be quite useful as well. It can be used to literally just cut under the rock, a very clean cut which with a gentle tap will come away easily.

Super glue gel from the dollar store is quite often used by a lot of referrals because it is cheap and effective.

Other types of LPS like acans can be a little bit more tricky to frag. I have used a Dremel to frag them as well but some others could probably chip in here with a lot more experience. Obviously these are just suggestions based on some things most of use either have around the house already or aren't too expensive to procure. A bandsaw would be great but most of us don't have them just lying around.

Hope this is of some use! It's really pretty easy after the first try and you'll learn the best way for you after a bit of trial and error. Happy fragging!

OP
OP
Brandonsegula

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be the first to comment since I'm sure there are many with much more experience but I can at least share what has worked for me. If it is a branching lps or sps such as a hammer or a birdsnest for example, I have just used nail cutters for lack of a better description such as this:
e10234e31532b9c16ff98853b40a22f4.png

They are really sharp and cheap. You can find them next to the nail polish in the pharmacy lol.

In the case of palys or zoas it's always good to get under them and take a bit of the surface rock with them to inflict minimal damage to them, which equals less recovery time. If you are able to remove the rock they are on from the tank you can use a chisel and a hammer to tap under them or remove a section of rock. Alternately a dremmel can be quite useful as well. It can be used to literally just cut under the rock, a very clean cut which with a gentle tap will come away easily.

Super glue gel from the dollar store is quite often used by a lot of referrals because it is cheap and effective.

Other types of LPS like acans can be a little bit more tricky to frag. I have used a Dremel to frag them as well but some others could probably chip in here with a lot more experience. Obviously these are just suggestions based on some things most of use either have around the house already or aren't too expensive to procure. A bandsaw would be great but most of us don't have them just lying around.

Hope this is of some use! It's really pretty easy after the first try and you'll learn the best way for you after a bit of trial and error. Happy fragging!

I will buy a nice fragging kit. I wish there was more videos on how to frag.

S&SReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be plenty of videos on youtube. Remember to wear gloves especially with Zoas and Palys to avoid paly toxin.
I use a diamon custed band saw, these work great, like above said cutting under zoas to keep them attached to rock. For other softies cut a branch off and place in a tupperware dish woth rubble they will reattach. Sps cut and glue, lps such as favia and acans will recover more quickly if cut along the edge of polyps ans not through them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back