Coral growth and condition

Van Eternal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,
Lately i've been wondering whether growth corelates with coral condition. I have noticed that my corals look great, good polyp extension great colours etc... but the growth has been very slow, it doesn't really bother me but got me wondering whether the growth is limited due to conditions or whether it has negative effects on the coral.

Whats your view on this? I believe that as long as the coral is looking healthy, the growth shouldnt be a concern

Also to mention all my parameters are stable.

Dkh 8
Calcium 450
Mag 1350 +/-
Po4 0.03
Nitrate 3ppm

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What coral species? What light do you have and do you roughly know the par levels of where the corals are?

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a lot more than those parameters that affect growth. I’ve had a coral they didn’t like being near a particular monti. Was an acan. Once I moved it 6 baby heads popped out within a month. I’ve also had healthy looking corals not grow at all til I moved them to different lighting and they exploded in growth. Also now that I got my ph up I’m seeing faster growth too. I don’t think looking healthy means growth will take care of itself. All these corals in my tank looked totally healthy. But they didn’t grow until I changed something foe them.

OP
OP
V

Van Eternal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What coral species? What light do you have and do you roughly know the par levels of where the corals are?
I mainly notice slowt growth in the acros, last time i had the opportunity to test my par was between 230-330 on top of the scape where majority of my acros are placed

OP
OP
V

Van Eternal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a lot more than those parameters that affect growth. I’ve had a coral they didn’t like being near a particular monti. Was an acan. Once I moved it 6 baby heads popped out within a month. I’ve also had healthy looking corals not grow at all til I moved them to different lighting and they exploded in growth. Also now that I got my ph up I’m seeing faster growth too. I don’t think looking healthy means growth will take care of itself. All these corals in my tank looked totally healthy. But they didn’t grow until I changed something foe them.
Will try to experiment with smaller frags and move them around in different light conditions , flow areas etc...

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will try to experiment with smaller frags and move them around in different light conditions , flow areas etc...

Moving things around tends to cause more issues than just leaving them be unless their current spot is really bad. If you think the spot is fine then I wouldn't move it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back