Coral Growth Questions

RJ16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greeting,
My name is RJ, I have had the take set up as a fowlr for about 3 years. About this time last year, we upgraded our lights to JDJ 4 bulb t5, what LFS said I need to grow anything I wanted, along with the filtration system to a 30gal. sump with refuge and reef octopus skimmer to start to keep corals. The problem I’m having is that none of the corals seem to be growing. They all look good just haven’t grew. The corals I currently have are frogspawn, Hammer, Zoa, which have multiplied, Ricordea and Flowerpot. As of now, the only coral I have lost are some acons. Any advice on how to get these coral to grow would be greatly appreciated.

Tank information:
55gal
Lighting: 2 Red sea blue white 1500k, 2 Red sea Actinic 2200k all 4 replaced 2 months ago.
10gal. Water change and feeding every week.
Ph- 8.0
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 0 ppm
Ammonia- 0ppm
Calcium= 500ppm
Alkalinity- 11.0dkh
Mag- 1400ppm
Specific gravity- 1.026

Thanks in advance.

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything seems to be in good order, so it may be a question of degree. You have softies and LPS, and they grow better with a slightly higher nutrient level. Try increasing the feedings, maybe target feed rather than broadcast feed, and keep an eye on your nitrates to make sure they do not go too high.

What flow do you have in your tank? Amount of in-tank flow influences growth independent of all other factors. Add the return pump gph to all the powerhead gph to get total flow. Softies, like zoas and mushrooms, prefer about 20X DT volume, LPS about 30X DT volume, and SPS likeupwards of 40X. I have an SPS dominated mixed reef with excellent growth and I have 7,500gph total flow for a 150 gallon DT, or 50X.

HTH!!

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, a BIG WELCOME to R2R and then agree with above response that you would probably be better off with a little more nutrients for corals you have. Acans which you lost would definitely need to be target fed in such a low nutrient system. Good luck and looking forward to some pics of your DT.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
R

RJ16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. My circulation set up is (2) 850 power heads and a 1050 return pump that has alot of friction loss through the system due to length of pipe. As for feeding I just feed oyster feast and little fish grind up, sorry cannot remember the name of them. Any suggestions on what I should feed them?

Thanks again,

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed my LPS once a week with a combination of frozen mysis and Coral Frenzy. I turn all the pumps off and encase the LPS in a cloud of food for about 30 minutes or so. The softies get any leftover. I have to be a little stingy with feeding because I have a lot of SPS, and they do not like high nutrient levels. For your softie and LPS tank, you can probably be more generous.

OP
OP
R

RJ16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I will try that method. Saves me alot of money I was certain it was because I didn't have t have the right lights.

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 bulb T5HO should be good enough for a 55 gallon. I have a 150 that is 27" tall, so I have to use MH lights.

GL!

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting provides about 85% of what corals need to grow. The other 15% is what we provide them with various foods. My concern would be your bulb choice.( p2 Red sea blue white 1500k)plus actinics. I don't know if you have the correct spectrum. If corals are doing good you might want to leave it alone and don't worry about them growing at a fast rate.

OP
OP
R

RJ16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What bulbs would you recommend? I believe my game plan is going to be ramp up my feedings for a few months, but if thats unsuccessful I would like to know some alternatives.

Thanks,
Rj

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back