Coral ID - Help

john_ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, seeking a bit of assistance here. I recently received some coral frags that were labeled as stylophora. However, to me, they appear to be just coral skeletons. Upon comparing them to online images of stylophora, they don't seem to match. Under blue light, I noticed a slight bluish/green fluorescence in certain spots, which I assume are areas I should see polyps, so I placed them in my tank. It's been a month now, and their appearance hasn't changed at all. I haven't observed any polyp extension or visible flesh. Nonetheless, upon close inspection, I've noticed growth at the tips and some on the sides.

I've attached images in both white and blue light as well as a timestamped image where you can see the tip growth. Can anyone confirm if this is indeed stylophora? If not, any idea what it might be? Should I expect to see flesh and polyp extension on these frags?
IMG_6815.JPG
IMG_6816.JPG
IMG_6818.JPG
IMG_6817.JPG
Untitled.png
It's puzzling because they look dead, yet there's clear growth. Your insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, seeking a bit of assistance here. I recently received some coral frags that were labeled as stylophora. However, to me, they appear to be just coral skeletons. Upon comparing them to online images of stylophora, they don't seem to match. Under blue light, I noticed a slight bluish/green fluorescence in certain spots, which I assume are areas I should see polyps, so I placed them in my tank. It's been a month now, and their appearance hasn't changed at all. I haven't observed any polyp extension or visible flesh. Nonetheless, upon close inspection, I've noticed growth at the tips and some on the sides.

I've attached images in both white and blue light as well as a timestamped image where you can see the tip growth. Can anyone confirm if this is indeed stylophora? If not, any idea what it might be? Should I expect to see flesh and polyp extension on these frags?
IMG_6815.JPG
IMG_6816.JPG
IMG_6818.JPG
IMG_6817.JPG
Untitled.png
It's puzzling because they look dead, yet there's clear growth. Your insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Almost looks like a very upset hydnophora or pavona.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back