Coral ID phone app

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wild1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Wild1

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
438
Reaction score
323
Location
Roseland
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all: I tried looking on-line for a coral ID phone app, with not much success. I'm looking for one the where you take a pic in your phone then the app identifies it for you. Any help greatly appreciated! TIA
 
I doubt you’ll find any.
This requires a machine learning model that was specifically trained with tons of pictures of corals, of all shapes, sizes and kinds, as well as under many lighting conditions.

I’m not saying that it’s impossible, but it’s extremely unlikely anyone would put millions worth of computing power for an a service like this.
 
I doubt you’ll find any.
This requires a machine learning model that was specifically trained with tons of pictures of corals, of all shapes, sizes and kinds, as well as under many lighting conditions.

I’m not saying that it’s impossible, but it’s extremely unlikely anyone would put millions worth of computing power for an a service like this.
I have seen them for plants and flowers so I was hoping, that something was available. Thanx for your reply
 
Yes, there are - but plants and flowers are far more common than corals and their photos also have better visibility, and yet, these models still have hard time to differentiate between many species, failing a lot.

Most of these models are also part of larger training sets, more of a by product of large scale projects and would still require tremendous computing power for training.

It’s a really hard task to accomplish, or rather really costly, regardless if it’s plants or corals, though I would put corals far above the difficulty level of recognizing plants, flowers or daily objects.
 
I don't think such an app exists, eventually you'll become familiar with the corals and be able to ID them pretty easily, though you can always post a Pic of it on reef2reef if you're unsure :)
 
Yes, there are - but plants and flowers are far more common than corals and their photos also have better visibility, and yet, these models still have hard time to differentiate between many species, failing a lot.

Most of these models are also part of larger training sets, more of a by product of large scale projects and would still require tremendous computing power for training.

It’s a really hard task to accomplish, or rather really costly, regardless if it’s plants or corals, though I would put corals far above the difficulty level of recognizing plants, flowers
I have seen them for plants and flowers so I was hoping, that something was available. Thanx for your reply
You make a good point, and that i have thought it over, I'm sure you are correct. thank you~
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new