Coral ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bunniko
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bunniko

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 14, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
3
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help identify which type of coral these two are? The green one (if it's actually a coral), just started appearing on a small rock. It has one small mouth in the middle and the coral itself is thin and "leafy" (the best way I can describe it) and does not inflate. Within several months, it already has 6 small heads. The orangish coral after being dormant with only 2 heads for about 18 months, started producing more heads within a few months. I inherited this tank setup about 2 years ago from a friend that moved overseas. I only did fish some 20 years ago, so corals is a new venture and still going through the learning process. I pretty much do just the very basic care with the high-tech gadgets he had installed and just leave it alone (if it's not broken, don't fix it, mantra). There's a few fish all hiding when the photograph was taken. Anyway, if anyone can ID the coral(s), I would appreciate it. IMG_0342.jpeg IMG_0337.jpeg IMG_0340.jpeg
 
Thank you for your help. It's weird, the green mushroom coral all the suddenly began to appear and propagate on this single small rock. It didn't split, just more heads popped up. It must have hitchhiked from something, but I haven't introduced anything for a significant time now. I read right now that mushrooms can become a nuisance, so it might be better for me to remove it and give it away to one of the local reef tank hobbyist (or store) who may want these. Thank you again for your assistance.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you for your help. It's weird, the green mushroom coral all the suddenly began to appear and propagate on this single small rock. It didn't split, just more heads popped up. It must have hitchhiked from something, but I haven't introduced anything for a significant time now. I read right now that mushrooms can become a nuisance, so it might be better for me to remove it and give it away to one of the local reef tank hobbyist (or store) who may want these. Thank you again for your assistance.
You can always just keep that rock isolated as well so it’s not touching any of your other rock structures.
 
Upvote 0
That's true..... thank you for your suggestion.
 
Upvote 0
+1 on Blastomussa for the 2nd one, specifically B. vivida (or wellsi)
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new