Coral ID Please

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, got this one yesterday and can't ID it, cane I get some help Please, to read how and in what to DIP it and where to place it. It's like SPS, but can't say anything else.

IMG_7112.jpg

IMG_7111.jpg IMG_7113.jpg IMG_7114.jpg IMG_7115.jpg IMG_7116.jpg IMG_7118.jpg IMG_7120.jpg IMG_7121.jpg IMG_7122.jpg IMG_7123.jpg IMG_7124.jpg

Last edited:

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and under aggressive you mean what? In what way ?
It will actively and quickly kill neighbors. Mine did fine with an Acropora neighbor for a while then one day... it was ugly. Check this out... EDIT: Not my video. Mine was green like yours and the Acro was about an inch away when the threads just engulfed half of it... As I said, it was an ugly massacre.

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will actively and quickly kill neighbors. Mine did fine with an Acropora neighbor for a while then one day... it was ugly. Check this out... EDIT: Not my video. Mine was green like yours and the Acro was about an inch away when the threads just engulfed half of it... As I said, it was an ugly massacre.

do you have any photo of it, I can't see something like mine under that name :( (and this one can't see any tentacles, was w/o and in the tank before I got it for 5-7 days)

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on the Videos (I saw few more) is it just EATING the flesh from the corals ?

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have any photo of it, I can't see something like mine under that name :( (and this one can't see any tentacles, was w/o and in the tank before I got it for 5-7 days)
Yup... and it is a Hydnophora Rigida, green, for sure. Give it time to puff up and acclimate. It will look like the photos below...

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, that is exactly what is happening.
I'll put it in a cage ;) Glass one :D
Actually in that case will leave it far away from anything in the tank, over 3-5 inches should be fine. And when I have pieces from fragging which can't glue/use will give him to feed on as well :)
Is that fine ?

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll put it in a cage ;) Glass one :D
Actually in that case will leave it far away from anything in the tank, over 3-5 inches should be fine. And when I have pieces from fragging which can't glue/use will give him to feed on as well :)
Is that fine ?
I wouldn't necessarily feed it coral. It is more of a defense response to an intrusion. Never fed mine. Just watched it kill two corals. After that, I made sure it was always given a wide berth.

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And will make it MOBILE to can move it from one place to another, if I need to rearrange to place something near...

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't necessarily feed it coral. It is more of a defense response to an intrusion. Never fed mine. Just watched it kill two corals. After that, I made sure it was always given a wide berth.
Thank you for the advices. I appreciate them!!!
Just let me know if you can, is it picky on something or isn't like the bird nest one swing and die off immediately ?

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is what nightmares are made of.!I’d be afraid to stick my hand in a tank with one of those soul suckers.
tell me about it, when I pull it out of the tank it wss, I touch there LR, and something grab my finger...., guess what, which I don't saw before that there, and it was like kat tongue with sharp and strong grips ....
Was flower - rock anemone in a hole in the LR :D It' almost freak me out :D

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advices. I appreciate them!!!
Just let me know if you can, is it picky on something or isn't like the bird nest one swing and die off immediately ?
Wherever those tendrils land will be dead. It will not kill off the whole neighboring coral unless it can reach the whole thing. It is an indiscriminate killer but loads of fun to have, with caution

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wherever those tendrils land will be dead. It will not kill off the whole neighboring coral unless it can reach the whole thing. It is an indiscriminate killer but loads of fun to have, with caution
Thank you, just will leave it away from the rest of the corals (to good distance)+ the option to can easy change the position. I't still in the stressed position, don't puff yet, I shade it to can settle and lower a bit the WF because I see it start to peel, but the WF wasn't that much at all.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back