Coral ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter BigBabich
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BigBabich

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 29, 2023
Messages
60
Reaction score
33
Location
Boston
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has a calcium skeleton. The polyps are small and not petal like so I don't think it's a pipe organ. And the polyps grasp like Xenia.
It's white/silver (it's under white lite but the video always makes it look like 100% actinic for some reason).
 

Attachments

  • Coral_ID.mp4
    7.1 MB
It has a calcium skeleton. The polyps are small and not petal like so I don't think it's a pipe organ. And the polyps grasp like Xenia.
It's white/silver (it's under white lite but the video always makes it look like 100% actinic for some reason).
Palsing xenia
 
Could that be a short stalked alveopora?

Nm. Watched the vid and only 10 tentacles per polyp. Clove or galaxia?
 
I did some more searching and I believe I've identified it as 'sympodium'.
Never heard of it before.
But it's in my tank now, so...
 

Attachments

  • 20221203_180137.jpg
    20221203_180137.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 54
I have a blue-green sympodium. This isn't that, you'd see red tips on a greenish-blue polyp, but it does look pretty similar. Mine grows at a slow-reasonable pace, a little faster if fed Reef Roids or similar, and doesn't seem to be too fussy about light.
 
What we call 'Sympodium' in the hobby is actually a species of Alcyonium. This coral does not look like what we would call Sympodium, though. I would say this cor is either Xenia, Heteroxenia, or Unomia.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new