Coral introduction into tank

Hentie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

My question is what is a good time to introduce corals to your system.

Tank is approx. 3 months old, fully cycled. Currently have 2 clowns and baby tang in there with a nem. (yes, I heard I introduced the nem too early, but it looks great).

FOWLR parameters are perfect. I know I will have to dose for Calsium, Magnesium when the time comes, but first wanted to ask when that time is. Don't want to start now and then battle again to get other parameters right. (not sure if dosing Calsium and Magnesium affects these?)

Thanks as aways for your advice!

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add them now

Start with some easy corals, zoas are a great starter. Keep them alive for a few weeks, then add some more.

It is more about not blasting them with light when you add them. I've seen WAYMORE coral die from too much light than being in a slightly under lit tank.

It usually takes a few months to get where you need to dose. If you're just adding a couple frags at a time, a weekly water change should take care of calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium for the time being.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need to dose alkalinity and calcium eventually, but not necessarily magnesium though.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unless you have booming coral growth, I wouldn't consider dosing anything for a year. Even then it can all be managed with water changes. Just depends on what size of tank and how much maintenance you want.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If doing soft corals I have seen tanks not dosed at all and managed with small water changes. Lps you want some dosing and sps will need a bit more. Only way to know is to test. You cant add or know what to add unless you do so. Once you test. There are lots of people that can help you figure out whats needed over time. Create a graph and you can find trends.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,

You suggest running majority blue light when adding them?
I would put them on the sand to start, with the light setting you have now.

Move them up and/or increase light as needed. If they are zoas, they'll stretch or "reach" for the light when more light is needed

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back