Tank upgrade - going fallow when setup is running?

andz91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
My new cade 1200 is nearly up and running. Relatively new to the hobby, started up a waterbox 20 last year, about 2 months ago introduced a new clown that i suspect had ich, with my royal gramma and firefish and other clown brushing up against rocks and a few spots (3-4). Don’t want to take my chances, but also starting with all new rock in the new setup to avoid pests. Now, if I were to move say 1kg of bioballs I’ve had in the AIO for about 3 months (in prep for the new tank), moved all coral and inverts over to the cade, and started copper treatment in the current waterbox, will I run into any issues with my coral/inverts? Think it’s a great opportunity to rid of the suspected ich, but no idea if this is a feasible idea. Would appreciate the help - thanks!

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using copper in a tank that has rock or sand in it will be very difficult to keep copper at the correct level. The copper will leach into everything in the tank including the silicone so copper will drop quickly until everything has a balanced amout of copper in it. By that point all your fish will probably be dead. Copper should only be done in a bare tank. If everything except the fish and rock are removed you could run it hypo Salinity for 90 -120 days. This would accomplish the same thing it just takes a little longer.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back