Coral Kai's 15G Waterbox Peninsula Cube

Coral Kai

Coral Kai Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My wife got into reefing during the pandemic so obviously I am automatically involved due to the nature of reefing and the costs involved. I actually made an IG account before she did and i took photos of her tank and put it up on IG. That's why I was called "shadow reefer" because I was just shadowing stuff she does and I didn't have my own tank. On top of that I was never allowed to touch her tank. That's a no no. I often gave advice since I eventually purchased some corals that could rent space in her tank, but I was never allowed to do anything regarding anything. She is running a 32G Biocube right now upgraded from a 12G JBJ. She did have both tanks running but the 12G JBJ just had 1 clownfish, 1 lawnmower blenny, and a bunch of rock flower anemones.
1629680299419.png

I finished up some of my house renovation projects so i decided it was time to have my own tank. The plan was I will take over the 12G JBJ and move some of the corals from her tank and everyone from the 12G JBJ into a new tank. I needed to get some new equipment in order to be able to house my corals into my little nano. All stuff I learned while being the shadow reefer.

1. I needed a wavemaker
2. I needed a light that I didnt have to set manually (My wife runs a Kessil A360x w/wifi)
3. I wanted a new nano tank
4. I needed a workbench table that will act as my stand

For the wavemaker, I just bought what she did which was a Hygger wavemaker from Amazon.
For my lights, I found an old school reefer by my house that had an extra Radion XR30 G2. He had the arm mount for it as well. I eventually found a reeflink for it here at R2R. All in all the lights cost me like $190
1629680243239.png

For my tank I went with a Waterbox 15G Peninsula Mini. 1st it was only $199. 2nd, it gave me the scenario where I could safely transfer sand and tankmates over without having to restart my cycle. I wanted it to also fit on a workbench table so small works plus I figured that it will save me some money on corals since I wouldn't need as many in order to fill out the whole tank
1629680448637.png

the day finally came for transfer day!

I know everyone is probably thinking that my plan sucks but I thought it made sense and everyone is still alive and kicking at the time of this writing.
- I was not going to transfer the sand
- I was going to transfer over as much water as I can
- I was going to transfer the rock
- I was going to transfer the same purigen, chemipure, and all the bio balls over
- I was going to add nitrifying bacteria
- I was going to add new water to fill out the rest
- I would transfer my blenny and clown + the corals that now lived in my tank

1629680844446.png

I'm pretty sure I had a panic attack during this whole thing but I just kept breathing and kept going. All personnel accounted for including all the snails.

1629680903551.png

Chamber 1
I took out the filter sock and I am using the intank media basket.
- Filter Floss
- 100 ml purigen
- 333g of Chemipure Elite

Chamber 2
I have a bunch of bio media plus a small UV sterilizer. Its a 3W Green Killing Machine Internal UV System. My little 50w heater is in that chamber as well. My light mount also blocks the top of that chamber so if I need to do anything to those components, I have to unmount my entire light 1st

Chamber 3
Upgraded to a Sicce .5 since the stock pump was super duper loud. I also put in my wifes coralife nano skimmer in chamber 3 since she doesn't want to use it and I don't want it to go to waste. I run it every now and then and its been broken in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coral Kai

Coral Kai

Coral Kai Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I would say its been about 3 months since I decided I was going to have my own tank. In those 3 months learned alot. Met some really nice people in the reefing community. Battled a bacterial disease that affected the euphyllias in my wifes tank :( I did end up losing a torch which made me super sad cause I loved that thing. For the most part everything has gone really well and the tank seems to be stable.

This is my torch that died. The 24K Aussie Gold which I named John Wooden.
1629682538031.png

Most recent pictures of the tank.
1629682643300.png

1629682697232.png

1629682716744.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coral Kai

Coral Kai

Coral Kai Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Updated the kids tank with a JEBAO 1200 DC Pump. I had to cut it a little bit but it actually gave way to more room for the Skimmer in chamber 3. Hopefully no issues with longevity of the return pump!

1633375777137.png

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 100 76.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back