Coral Keepers Non-Photosynthetic tank Diary.

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
wave.gif
I decided to make a Non-Photosynthetic tank. Its going to be the 8 gallon biocube. I took out all of the corals, and fish from there and put it in my 28 gallon HQI nano cube. The filtration on this tank is: around 6 lb of LR in DT, some LR in the back chambers, chaeto in the middle chamber, 14 lb of live sand in the DT, and weekly water changes of about 20%. I covered up the tank with towels and am only going to be turning on the PC lights for 30 min a day for the Coraline algae. The chaeto light is going to be on 24/7. Here are a few pictures of the tank.
Picture209.jpg

Picture211.jpg

Picture212.jpg

This is what I'm going to do, cover it up for a full month, add 7 ml of phyto everyday-every other day for one month, do 20% water changes every week in that month, then on November first I'm going take the towels off and there should be TONS TONS of sponges/feather dusters/filter feeders and the hair algae will be gone.(got a small 2 inch rock that is covered in hair algae) So that is why I'm covering the tank up with towels for now. I'm not going to leave the tank covered in towels for ever. lol Here are a few pictures that I just took. I took these so everyone can see a before and an after.
bigg.gif

Picture278.jpg

Picture267.jpg

Picture271.jpg

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan. Keep us updated on how well the blackout theory works, Im curious to see if the algae will resort to other methods (like oxygen) for photosynthesis or not.

talon4x4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you decide to keep it covered for a month?? Or are you just taking a shot in the dark?!? :angel:

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think he means it sounds like an original idea did you read it some where or come up with it yourself?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back