Coral light acclimation

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious how many people set their lights to acclimation mode when they acquire new corals. Recently have been thinking of doing a 50% acclimation for a week when adding new corals and am curious if this will possibly help them get adjusted to my tank.

Currently running 2 ai 16hds over my Nuvo 20 at the below settings. Sps light is over sps rock and lps over lps rock

2D965AA6-37BE-4320-AD5A-3B2AB43A4626.jpeg 6BD193EA-2431-4602-A097-046EFF284F15.jpeg

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran acclimation mode on my Hydra when I first got it, and will not do that again moving forward, because I know exactly what's going to happen. I'm going to set it up, forget about it, and only realize what I did 8 months later when my corals are bleaching.

Bored Jennifer Lopez GIF

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran acclimation mode on my Hydra when I first got it, and will not do that again moving forward, because I know exactly what's going to happen. I'm going to set it up, forget about it, and only realize what I did 8 months later when my corals are bleaching.

Bored Jennifer Lopez GIF
You just set it for a period of 15 or 30 days or whatever. It slowly brings it up over those days. No need to blast them out the gates

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just set it for a period of 15 or 30 days or whatever. It slowly brings it up over those days. No need to blast them out the gates

Yea, exactly- I had mine set to like 6 months and it slowly ramped up to full blast AB+ during that time.
Turns out full AB+ was too much for my system.

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that sucks! I’ve finally got a frag rack so now I can just move that around the higher light over time. Seems to be working nicely for a new acro frag too

alxrosco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not make sense to me to change the light settings of the whole tank for one or few new frags. I have a frag rack and I just move it to the bottom of the tank, and some times only for few days, and as far as I remember never had a problem.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back