Coral Newb Question

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hammer coral (my first and only coral in my tank). It was attached to a plug.

The plug unattached from hammer coral accidentally (pretty clean though). I stuck the coral in a hole in a rock. Seems to be ok (that was about 3 days ago).

Do I need to permanently attach it to something? Glue? Leave alone?

She sits on the rocks now. When open and extended, drapes over rocks. Before, when it was on plug, it sat higher (obviously) and umbrellaed over rocks (opposed to touching them).

Thoughts and opinions please..

Beck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get some gel super glue and attach it to the rock work where you want. If not as it grows pretty good chance it will fall over.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get some gel super glue and attach it to the rock work where you want. If not as it grows pretty good chance it will fall over.
Ok, I said newb, so forgive the questions.

Do I remove rock I would attach too, remove coral (from water, exposing to air for x amount of time), glue, let dry or set for ....(?), then out back in tank?

I say all that as opposed to removing coral, applying glue, and sticking back in tank immediately to rock (?).

Could I glue to a small piece of rock, instead of a big rock, so I can move later if needed?

What type of glue (brand), does it matter??

Nateaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same with gel super glue whenever I frag from my main frogspawn. Just hold in place for 30 seconds to allow glue to harder a little.

Nateaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glue mine directly to my main display rocks. If it's one or two heads you can glue to some dry rock rubble, you would be able to move around later this way. Then glue the rubble rock to where you want it in your tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive had mine do that and simply did what you did placing it into a crevice. That was a year ago and this is the jungle now:

1601831569785.png

Beck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend just hitting up your local dollar store to get super glue. Just make sure it's the gel type. Take the hammer out of the tank and put the glue right on the skeleton then put it back in the water and hold it on your display rock until it holds.

20201004_184754.jpg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hammers are/get big, so glue to a good sized rock.
Let us know how it looks in a few days.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back