New Scoly looks like its peeling

407_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9281F13F-6847-483B-AEED-B8BEA6A685F8.jpeg
Hey everyone,

I picked up a warpaint scoly last weekend at Reefapalooza Orlando and only noticed afterward that it has a chunk of flesh missing, which seems to be worsening each day. I already gave it a 6-minute dip in Revive when I brought it home.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I dip it again to help with the issue?
2. Could this be the work of a pest? All my other corals seem fine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help! 6846FDA1-8EC0-4D0C-B818-9F083B6737D6.jpeg

OP
OP

407_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would blast that door with scturkey baster to make sure there isn’t any debris in it and feed nightly 2x a week
Ok so target feed twice a week. I currently use benereef and aminos once a week during the day. I will just switch to nighttime. Is there a food you would recommend?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy will want to feed naturally at night. It should get a routine and open and show feeding tentacles about a hour or two after lights out. Just cause they are showing doesn’t mean to feed it every day. 1-2x a week. They need time to digest and expel waste before eating again.

They will eat almost anything they can grab - flake food, mysis, krill, oyster eggs…everything I’ve tried they eat. Smaller particle food like benereef and reef roids d they don’t really seem thrilled about, but you certainly can mix that stuff or aminos in a cup of water with some meatier food as a supplement if you want. Also reduce or stop flow when they feed or it will get blown away. If you have shrimp keep them away

Nice Warpaint but the way! That little spot should regrow fine. Here’s mine ready to eat

Attachments

• 94C63EFE-650C-442E-AD9B-5E1E7D70CFDE.jpeg
    94C63EFE-650C-442E-AD9B-5E1E7D70CFDE.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 81F6FA52-7B29-4E8E-B51D-C340A208E206.jpeg
    81F6FA52-7B29-4E8E-B51D-C340A208E206.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP

407_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy will want to feed naturally at night. It should get a routine and open and show feeding tentacles about a hour or two after lights out. Just cause they are showing doesn’t mean to feed it every day. 1-2x a week. They need time to digest and expel waste before eating again.

They will eat almost anything they can grab - flake food, mysis, krill, oyster eggs…everything I’ve tried they eat. Smaller particle food like benereef and reef roids d they don’t really seem thrilled about, but you certainly can mix that stuff or aminos in a cup of water with some meatier food as a supplement if you want. Also reduce or stop flow when they feed or it will get blown away. If you have shrimp keep them away

Nice Warpaint but the way! That little spot should regrow fine. Here’s mine ready to eat
Thank you I appreciate it! Yours is nice as well, is that a reverse? The orange is crazy!

So, I set my alarm for 5 am, and it was so cool to see him open up like that! I popped a few mysis shrimp in its mouth, and it sucked them right in. Woke up to find the gash noticeably smaller, so it seems like things are working!

I'm also curious about iodine dips. Any thoughts or experience with those?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Mine was just sold as a Warpaint from aqua sd a few years ago. The orange is definitely bright in person !’

The feeding response is awesome on these corals, I usually am up late and visit around 11-1am and find it open to feed.

I don’t dip, unless it’s injured. Yours looks like it just needs food and to adjust. Twice a week is perfectly fine. Good luck!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9281F13F-6847-483B-AEED-B8BEA6A685F8.jpeg
Hey everyone,

I picked up a warpaint scoly last weekend at Reefapalooza Orlando and only noticed afterward that it has a chunk of flesh missing, which seems to be worsening each day. I already gave it a 6-minute dip in Revive when I brought it home.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I dip it again to help with the issue?
2. Could this be the work of a pest? All my other corals seem fine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help! 6846FDA1-8EC0-4D0C-B818-9F083B6737D6.jpeg
It's not that bad.

Just put it somewhere with gentle flow and medium light and it will recover.

They recover slowly.

I would not feed it, my experience is that target feeding only makes you and the food vendor feel better, not the coral.

They just like to be left alone.

The coral will get all it needs from light and fish waste.

IMG_5265 (1).jpeg
IMG_5267 (1).jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back