Coral not looking good!!

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 corals in my tank. I just bought 2 new ones for my local fish store and they are looking great. I have had this Green Sinularia Leather in the tank for about a month now and it has looked great every day until now. It is a kinda droopy and not tall like its normal self. It still has its color.

IMG_1218.jpeg

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 corals in my tank. I just bought 2 new ones for my local fish store and they are looking great. I have had this Green Sinularia Leather in the tank for about a month now and it has looked great every day until now. It is a kinda droopy and not tall like its normal self. It still has its color.

IMG_1218.jpeg
Leather corals tend to look droopy and sad for a day or so as long as color is okay and flesh is there it will be fine
IMG_0753.jpeg
if you look at my Kenya it’s closed and leaning to the left. But after a couple days it perks back up

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leather corals tend to look droopy and sad for a day or so as long as color is okay and flesh is there it will be fine
IMG_0753.jpeg
if you look at my Kenya it’s closed and leaning to the left. But after a couple days it perks back up
Ok I have never seen it like this. I had this leather for about a month and first time I’ve seen it closed

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

IMG_1218.jpeg
More often than not, its often lack of flow causes this.
Direct flow towards it or move to area with more flow. Give it gentle bursts with a turkey baster to perk it up and adding occasionally iron, and manganese to water keep them happy. A light film seen in pic will cause them to pout

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More often than not, its often lack of flow causes this.
Direct flow towards it or move to area with more flow. Give it gentle bursts with a turkey baster to perk it up and adding occasionally iron, and manganese to water keep them happy. A light film seen in pic will cause them to pout.
It has had good flow for the past month. I will give it some bursts with the turkey baster. I have been dosing maganese with my reef dose. What do you mean by light film.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It has had good flow for the past month. I will give it some bursts with the turkey baster. I have been dosing maganese with my reef dose. What do you mean by light film.
A film that almost represents cellophane tape and algae sticks to it. If you look at your specimen, you may notice a light brown haze/film on surface

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A film that almost represents cellophane tape and algae sticks to it. If you look at your specimen, you may notice a light brown haze/film on surface
So there is a film on the coral? Can that kill the corals. What is causing this film on the coral.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So there is a film on the coral? Can that kill the corals. What is causing this film on the coral.
No harm. Often bright white intensity, lack of flow, diatoms and even elevated nitrate. Turkey baster will take care of this on your coral.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No harm. Often bright white intensity, lack of flow, diatoms and even elevated nitrate. Turkey baster will take care of this on your coral.
Should I run my lights to a more blue and less white? I do have diatoms in my tank that I have been dealing with. But nitrates are 0..

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it always had a brown film or was it ever open. Leathers will go through shedding phases from my experience. Do you have a full tank shot?

I also would not be dosing any random trace elements without knowing a baseline of what they’re. 0 nitrate is probably an issue depending on the test kit. Is your phosphate 0 as well. These corals need some of each to survive.

Diatoms usually show in new tanks, are you sure it’s not cyano or Dino’s? Or is it a pretty new tank. Also, if your other corals you got are doing well I wouldn’t be chasing to get this one to do well. Leathers can be pretty finicky especially when first introduced.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it always had a brown film or was it ever open. Leathers will go through shedding phases from my experience. Do you have a full tank shot?

I also would not be dosing any random trace elements without knowing a baseline of what they’re. 0 nitrate is probably an issue depending on the test kit. Is your phosphate 0 as well. These corals need some of each to survive.

Diatoms usually show in new tanks, are you sure it’s not cyano or Dino’s? Or is it a pretty new tank. Also, if your other corals you got are doing well I wouldn’t be chasing to get this one to do well. Leathers can be pretty finicky especially when first introduced.
I never noticed any brown film algae. It has always been open until today. I am only dosing calcium alkalinity and magnesium. I might need to bring nitrates up. Phosphate is 0. I am using Hanna test kit. This tank is 3 months old and I am just getting over the ugly stage with diatoms

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has started to open up a bit more.
I would just leave it alone for the next few days. It is probably getting ready to shed. Now if it starts disintegrating that's a different issue.
why does it shed? And when it gets ready to shed it likes to shrivel up?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back