Coral Nutrition

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
So i'm running low on coral food and going to restock. I usually have Reef Roids and Benereef. Any new or old coral food that's better?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using amino based foods like reef energy, vitachem, etc. I've been using reef enhance in my softie office tank.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you went with something yet but check out Captiv8 Aquaculture coral foods.

I was watching an ACI Aquaculture video with Chris Meckley a while back and learned of it that way. I don’t feed corals anything but phyto, coral snow, and of course fish poop but I may start feeding again if I can keep my nutrients in check while doing that.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i'm running low on coral food and going to restock. I usually have Reef Roids and Benereef. Any new or old coral food that's better?
have you tried reef nutrition oyster feast, I've been using it for a while now and find it pretty simple to use every few days. it's a little expensive but it lasts a while when you get the big bottle, and has lots of fine particles. I also use benapets

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reef Roids, Benereef and Gonipower (I have 6 Gonis all doing great) all mixed together. I've seen good growth and coloration across all my corals from Acros to soft since using that blend over the last year or so. Everything seems puffed up and healthy. I spot and broadcast feed twice a week.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reef Roids, Benereef and Gonipower (I have 6 Gonis all doing great) all mixed together. I've seen good growth and coloration across all my corals from Acros to soft since using that blend over the last year or so. Everything seems puffed up and healthy. I spot and broadcast feed twice a week.

When you started doing that, did you see an increase in nutrients or algae?

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you started doing that, did you see an increase in nutrients or algae?
I do see a slight uptick in Phos and Nit the day after feeding but it returns to the normal numbers within 48 hours. I have not had an algae issue since I've been doing this routine. I do have a few algae eating fish and a decent sized clean up crew working around the clock and I keep up with my maintenance on the filtration side of things cleaning out the skimmer and replacing filter floss once a week.

I also use a low dose of NOPOX (3ml dosed daily over 12 hours) and Chemi-pure elite in the sump (90g tank) and that combo keeps me at phos- .04-.06 and Nit- .10-.13 on the days I'm not feeding.

The day after feeding the corals I see the Phos up to around .08-.09 and the Nit up to around .14-.15 but again, it goes back down by the second day.

I figure it's about routine consistency. If I don't feed the corals as I do every 4 days then I'd probably bottom out my Phos and Nit so I'd have to adjust the NOPOX down or remove it and remove the chemi-pure to off set that. I've been running it this way for about a year now with no issues.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reef Nutrition foods are what I prefer, I use OysterFeast, PhytoFeast, ROE, and TDO that I soak in Red Sea's Reef Energy.

Check them out.

Edit: By the way, I believe they still have an option on their site that you can select what you're trying to feed and it will suggest foods for that creature including corals and fish. Just a useful tool to help you figure out what options might be best for you and your needs.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back