Coral of the Week: Elegance Coral (Catalaphyllia jardinei)

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...maybe I need to consider feeding mine.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like...gulf shrimp from Walmart? Cool.
I just fed mine silversides.

No gulf shrimp off of a shrimp boat, my wife has several shrimp boats in her family so I have a semi-infinite supply of fresh shimp, squid, and the sorts.

dallas reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh..
Yeah we had some back in the day, round port Arthur. We still got some hook up. Prolly not like you though. ;) I'll try that.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my luck, that coral beauty you see in the picture decided to go rogue and absolutely destroy my pink tip elegance. Needless to say, the coral beauty will be gone by this weekend.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Elegance Coral
(Catalaphyllia jardinei)

I have been in the hobby since the early years and the elegance coral was a staple and almost every one had them.

They were very hardy, easily fed. When under stress though they would leave their skeletons behind which would lead to eventual death. They come from two different type of environments, attached to the rock or solitary in the mud or sediment not attached to anything. Not hard to tell look at the bottom skeleton of your elegance and see if it was cut from a reef or laying in the mud and this would help determine if you should place yours on sand or attach to the rock work.

Then something happened they got some disease where the body would swell up and the tentacles shrivel till the elegance would die. This started happening to almost all newly brought in specimens. Still know one knows exactly why. Some people feel the Aussie elegance coral faired better but some say there is know difference.

Back in the day they took the easiest and hardiest corals to collect plain and simple. We also kept lots of macro algae’s in out tanks. The tanks had less current and more nutrients. I think part of the issue is everything changed, people started using skimmers and then better skimmers, phosphate removers and then better phosphate removers. We increased the current with the advent of sps. I basically think things just changed in the way we kept out reefs and this might be part of the problem.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back