Coral placement: here is my plan

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
Finally I purchased my first corals and I would like to hear some feedback on their placement in my 32.5 tank.
My setting is quite simple: on the left side of the tank I have my rockwork going all the way up to the surface and sloped toward the opposite side. On the right side I keep my macros and a SLW20 wavemaker. Above the rockwork I have a Viparspectra 165w (at the moment kept at 5% white 10% blue).
In few days I will receive the following corals:

1) Red torch Euphyllia with white tips
2) Zoanthus "people eater"
3) Leptastrea "burning ember"
4) Goniastrea "dragon soul"
5) Cyphastrea "lila"

As far as I understood:
1) Euphyllia needs a low flow and a medium light. I am planning to place it a bit higher than other softies but protected from the direct flow.
2) Zoas can do well with low light and medium to low flow: I am planning to place them on a small island on the bottom of the tank.
3) Leptastrea: low light high flow? I have some low rocks closer to the wavemaker that should do the trick.
4) Goniastrea: low light low flow I am planning to place it on some rocks near the bottom. As far as I undersood they do not spread too fast, so on the main rockwork should be fine?
5) Cyphastrea: I am planning to cover the whole background with those, maybe 2 or 3 different morphs. I was thinking to start low and make them spread higher up

What do you think about the placement of these first corals?
I am planning to add later some sps in the top part of the rockwork (maybe birdnests) and some duncans, more cyphastreas morphs and some clavularia tricolor

Cattura22.PNG

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your first corals, thats the start of a new frag habit. I think it looks great. Just dont have your heart set on it, corals have their own likes and dislikes, and may not agree with your placement. Good luck.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your first corals, thats the start of a new frag habit. I think it looks great. Just dont have your heart set on it, corals have their own likes and dislikes, and may not agree with your placement. Good luck.
Thanks! is it easy to move them around once they are glued?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you glue the frag plug onto the rock, then yes, its pretty easy to break the glue, just twist and snap.

But if you remove the coral from the plug to glue on the rock, it can be harder to remove depending what kind of coral it is. Once the coral overgrows the glue and bases onto the rock then its almost impossible to move

Dcloser12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always glue the whole plug to the rock, see how the coral responds. After a few weeks of the coral responding well I take it off the plug and glue it in place in the same spot with epoxy or with glue depending if it's encrusting or not. I have had coral in perfect par placement hate the flow and the other way around. My advice is give the coral time to respond to placement. That takes time.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back