Coral Placement With Neighbors

VVolfe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see these great images of very full reef tanks with rock work absolutely teeming with different corals. usually there’s no sign of receding from stinging neighbors.

How? Almost every coral I look into buying says to give it plenty of space so it doesn’t sting Or get stung by neighbors unless it is the same type.

I can’t say I want a rock entirely covered in mushrooms isolated from a rock entirely empty of anything but a stylo. Where do I get solid guidance on this?

I thought to put some mushrooms and monti and zoas to fill in between frogspawn, stylo, plays, etc but it sounds like that’s not a good idea.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought the same thing. I see these beautiful reef tanks with corals on top of corals and wonder how they accomplished that without mutual fighting. We know some corals are peaceful and some can be grouped together also.

I will say that I currently have some corals touching that shouldn't be but there has been no issues thus far.

OP
OP
VVolfe

VVolfe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run the experiments. Move if required.
Do they really recover that well from the stings? If they are moved will they stop receding and start repairing immediately or could they continue to receding and eventually die?

I haven’t won the lottery yet so some of these guys are outside of my comfort zone to be an experiment. :eek:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they really recover that well from the stings? If they are moved will they stop receding and start repairing immediately or could they continue to receding and eventually die?

I haven’t won the lottery yet so some of these guys are outside of my comfort zone to be an experiment. :eek:
Imagine the corals on a real reef. Does a fish take the occasional bite? Do they run into each other?. If they died or didn't recover at the 1st injury, as a species they wouldn't last long.
So given favorable water conditions and light, yes they recover.

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple monti is about to grow into the same space as my green sinularia. Any ideas what will happen? They're about an inch from touching now, but growing fast.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate disco mushrooms. They release and anything they touch they kill. I will never have them in another tank.
I can remove 10 a week and they just keep comming back.

I have mostly acros and they are at the point of warfare as many are close or touching.
I just keep trimming as best I can.
I could have worse issues.
You can see them in the third pic.
20211102_170323.jpg

20211102_170312.jpg

20211023_134425_003.jpg

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with leathers, they throw chemical warfare into the water when threatened, vs stings.

I am running carbon, but will keep an eye on things. I'm considering restructuring my rock work a bit for this and other reasons, but still in the pondering/watching phase.

IMG_6752.jpg

OP
OP
VVolfe

VVolfe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate disco mushrooms. They release and anything they touch they kill. I will never have them in another tank.
I can remove 10 a week and they just keep comming back.

I have mostly acros and they are at the point of warfare as many are close or touching.
I just keep trimming as best I can.
I could have worse issues.
You can see them in the third pic.
Beautiful!
When I look at these pics I don’t see the signs of warfare.
i was looking at buying some mushrooms just exactly in hopes they would fill in like this. Are they only really problems for Acro?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful!
When I look at these pics I don’t see the signs of warfare.
i was looking at buying some mushrooms just exactly in hopes they would fill in like this. Are they only really problems for Acro?
Aptaiaia will kill whatever it touches also.
Check my build thread as I have examples their.
I have a green slimer that is just about touching a surf and turf stag. I will let it touch to see what happens. Some acros have grown into others with no issues so it varies.
I do trim some when they get close.
I just trimmed a pink floyd as it was about to touch my walt disney.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back