Coral placements and plug removals??

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sooo I got in a little bit over my head and received some corals. I’ve been doing research understanding the flow and lighting needs. Here’s my questions I’m just lost on where to actually place them and how.

The ones I posted. What’s the proper method to get them off the frag plates? Just use a dremmel or is it able to be removed from the plate completely?

I’m still not even certain what exactly these are. The chalice I believe is a Miami hurricane.
I think there is 2 montiporas

Planned on mainly a lps soft tank but these sps caught my boys eyes

Please excuse my ignorance here.

For help with placements or questions.

#1 has small like hairs that move with the flow has encrusted most of the place with a ball look
#2 looks like it will encrust into what it’s on. Looks like an egg shape currently
#3 believe is a Miami hurrican chalice
#4 I think is a montipora type? Looks like it’s growing upwards currently

I purchased some thick gel from brs today hoping to get a game plan in the future to place them and leave them alone.

All the help needed is appreciated and will accept criticism with open arms.

Thanks all! IMG_1985.jpeg IMG_1979.jpeg IMG_1977.jpeg IMG_1976.jpeg

Attachments

• 126E7F41-C2E3-4F34-899D-CE50188E3A1B.mp4
    25.5 MB

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All your Montipora's should be placed around the top with moderate to high flow, and your chalice coral should be about midway to bottom at a light or moderate flow. I wouldn't worry about jumping the gun since Montipora are considered one of the easiest SPS coral to keep.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you received healthy frags. That’s both good and bad in your case. Since they have already encrusted you have two option. You can leave them on the plugs or you can frag them again into several smaller frags each. Since you are new I would suggest leaving them on the plugs.

OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All your Montipora's should be placed around the top with moderate to high flow, and your chalice coral should be about midway to bottom at a light or moderate flow. I wouldn't worry about jumping the gun since Montipora are considered one of the easiest SPS coral to keep.
With that being said what’s the best route to mount those monti to get the nutrients they need?

OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like you received healthy frags. That’s both good and bad in your case. Since they have already encrusted you have two option. You can leave them on the plugs or you can frag them again into several smaller frags each. Since you are new I would suggest leaving them on the plugs.
They sure seem to be! So I’ve watched some videos on fragging them and it doesn’t seem to be insane difficult but like you said they are healthy and good sized I’d rather not do that. So with the plates the size they are how do I get them to the areas they need with the real estate I have?

Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back