Coral Pricing

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what this thread is going to turn into, but as I surf different sites, I get taken back about the prices I see, especially on chalices. I remember a few years ago wher $100 was still out of the norm.

It seems that the norm is $200-$300 per eye; Not even for a full frag, but for an eye :( Maybe its just me, but if a coral has one eye and has a baby eye on the edge was cut during fragging, thats not worth $350-$500.

Or is it? If so, and you want to spend your money, please let me know :tongue:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice thread! Interested to see the responses as well.

PS. Game on the Ref is here. :D HAHA!

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder when people going to cut in the nose and in the lips.. always have to be in the eye!... :)

No comment.. on pricing for now lol

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
completely agree, the chalice craze is out of control. still kinda surprised to see the hobby still doing so well considering current economic times.

i think the only thing driving these high prices is hobbyists' assumption that they can grow out that frag they just purchased for $200-$300, and then re-frag it themselves in 6 months to a year and sell multiple frags, thus paying for the original purchase....and getting a net profit.

in fact, I'm positive thats what some reefers are in it for.

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly i think some of these chalices are out of control. prices have gone up higher then the multi level marketing products. lol at least "monavi" is still 40.00 a bottle who knows on the chalices. looking forward to the downturn of this trend, the hobby is expensive enough already for most

Richard

anomie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I see it, chalices are slooow growers so if the color and texture, etc, appeal to the buyer, then to get a small 1 eyed frag for $250 or so isn't bad. No way would I pay $300-500 for a 1 eyed frag with a baby that was damaged during fragging though.

bushh23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's more of a what you want situation. If there is a hot piece that you like and really want (orange Immo - Marko9 :) ) then people will pay what they think is fair or sometimes more than they would normally pay for something that they can easily get through trade. I see some of these selling for $400 for a 1/2 x 1/2 piece and it just doesn't do it for me. If anything it makes me not want that one more! Obviously people are going to want to get things that they can recoup their spending on but with this crazy hobby and one electrical storm, that might all be gone! I like to try and collect the ones i think look cool and what fits with my tank. I am not a commercial business looking to mass propogate and i think spending over $250 for one peice is nuts unless it is something i REALLY like and want...I cant wait for the day when these go back down in price.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its insane for sure.
I haven't seen this many "vendors" ever. A lot are "backyard" farmers just buying up everything to resell. Which is cool I guess. But it is about a quick buck and not enjoying each piece and sharing it with the reefing community for a fair price.
I decided that I would buy stuff I like and trade with buddies.
The most I have spent on a frag is $200, which is wayyyy above what I would like to pay, but sometimes you have to pay to play. It is a nice piece from a good guy I met here. So I didn't mind too much. The story behind the piece is almost as important as the piece itself.

It seems nowadays everyone has a frag tank display - or a display and a frag tank...

I have a display in the living room. We sit and watch it everynight...I should cut my cable off!!!

Last edited:

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's more of a what you want situation. If there is a hot piece that you like and really want (orange Immo - Marko9 :) ) then people will pay what they think is fair or sometimes more than they would normally pay for something that they can easily get through trade. I see some of these selling for $400 for a 1/2 x 1/2 piece and it just doesn't do it for me. If anything it makes me not want that one more! Obviously people are going to want to get things that they can recoup their spending on but with this crazy hobby and one electrical storm, that might all be gone! I like to try and collect the ones i think look cool and what fits with my tank. I am not a commercial business looking to mass propogate and i think spending over $250 for one peice is nuts unless it is something i REALLY like and want...I cant wait for the day when these go back down in price.

Its insane for sure. But sometimes you have to pay to play. The story behind the piece is almost as important as the piece itself.

I agree! :D

OP
OP
mpoletti

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people I have talked with have also agreed that the "special" pieces are worth more coin than others, but what gets me are the recent imports with no history in captivity (less than 6 month) still are getting $250 plus per frag.

I recently posted a frag and within minutes I received PM's asking "whats its name" and "can I get one for $200".

This is nuts. I know it wont happen, but the only way it is going to stop is if we as hobbyist stop gouging the market. Like I said, its not going to happen. :) BTW, I have a few frags for sale ;) j/k

I'm just glad that I am not the only person that feels the same way. I stopped visiting certain sites as I just got tired of seeing zeros after numbers

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a matter of economics here. People are willing to pay for a high price for nice chalice frags because the demand is there. Looking at the supply, I would think once enough people get their hands on an expensive chalice frag and start selling it themselves people tend to drop the price because the demand isn't as great.

OP
OP
mpoletti

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely agree on the economics. Supply and demand is what our society is all about. I applaud the business owners who can do it as I love great marketing and great communication.

I just get blown away by some of the unproven pieces and the prices people are paying for them.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom line is that if we as hobbyists are willing to part with big money - there will be people that will supply it. (must have been writing this at the same time as above ^^^)

All the guys I have worked with on getting stuff have been cool, which is great. Cause it is also about making friendships in the hobby to enjoy this stuff together, for me at least.
I have put a lot of work into getting some stuff that I like, but that is half the fun for me. I enjoy each piece all the more then!
If I just click "buy it now" it isn't the same...and I don't. I have talked to just about everyone on the phone prior to getting stuff, and tried to build a friendship in the process.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also willing to part with more $$$ for a piece that I like and don't want to see in everyone else's tank too. I want something unique. To do that it costs more...just part of the game I guess

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy it if I like it.. If I can go to sleep and not think of it then I can say " its ok next time"..

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people I have talked with have also agreed that the "special" pieces are worth more coin than others, but what gets me are the recent imports with no history in captivity (less than 6 month) still are getting $250 plus per frag.

I recently posted a frag and within minutes I received PM's asking "whats its name" and "can I get one for $200".

This is nuts. I know it wont happen, but the only way it is going to stop is if we as hobbyist stop gouging the market. Like I said, its not going to happen. :) BTW, I have a few frags for sale ;) j/k

I'm just glad that I am not the only person that feels the same way. I stopped visiting certain sites as I just got tired of seeing zeros after numbers

I'm exactly in that boat Mark. In order for me to spend a good deal on money on a frag it must have a history in captivity. These new wild pieces being cut up and sold as small frags really puts me off.

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also willing to part with more $$$ for a piece that I like and don't want to see in everyone else's tank too. I want something unique. To do that it costs more...just part of the game I guess

My Miami :D

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A coral is worth what the market is willing to pay. I for one love all the super high priced corals. It has meant business for me! lol

with that said there is a HUGE market for the "high end" stuff. everyone has a place in the hobby. there are high rollers willing to pay for anything and then there are the bargin basment buyers. there are vendors for everyone. buy what you like and what you can afford. all these corals crazes never last very long. everything comes down in time. heck chalice coral are coming in now LIKE CRAZY soon i bet it will be hard to give some of these things away

the only thing i dont like is that there is alot of really high prices on sub par corals. there are some rather ugly peices going around right now fetching big bucks just becasue of the price not because of the coral. people are buying stuff they dont even really like just to be one of the cool kids and that bugs me a little. In the end i could care less what people buy as long as they are happy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mpoletti

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep, or until the next guy gets it and frags it up and that guy frags it up....then its the same old game again.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the buyers determines the price for the coral. You will notice that many vendors will show chalice on the forum to see what the response is. If the response is through the roof them the price will be also. But purchasing coral as a vendor is not like it use to be either. With the technology of endless internet access and all of the high traffic forums the suppliers across seas can now keep track of what is selling well and what people are looking for. For this reason the suppliers in Australia and Indo area are now charging a forture for the nice coral. A couple years ago a vendor would get a box of coral and many times there would be some rare pieces in there. Now the suppliers take photos of these rare coral and send the photos to the vendors and get as much money as they can from them and most of the time the vendors are paying a forture for them as well. So, by the time its all said and done the end person has to pay a lot for the coral. This hobby, like most collectibles, you are going to pay high dollar for the rare stuff and there is no way around it. So, if you have the funds and willingness to pay for what you want then go for it.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 42.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 48 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back