Coral Pricing

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, or until the next guy gets it and frags it up and that guy frags it up....then its the same old game again.

I hope the IMMO and PE ME stays on the low rade ;)

OP
OP
mpoletti

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you guys/gals enjoy my morning threads :D

I enjoy adult conversations among friends.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have seen it in person and am not personally enamored with it. The collectability, yes! Just not willing to part with $1500 or whatever it will fetch to be part of the club...

A lot of the pricing is also due to our natural instinct to COLLECT more, more more...
I have spent major $$$ due to this! But I am also in recovery and it is cheaper than partying!!! ;)

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to try and collect the ones i think look cool and what fits with my tank.

I think this pretty much sums it up for me. I never spent much on SPS, or zoas/palys, or acans, or even fish for that matter. I finally happen to be attracted to some hot trendy corals...oh well, so be it. I spend too much on electricity each month to keep corals I only kind of want or like :)

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the same way with fish. I am willing to spend more $ so I have stuff in my tank that is different than all my bro's.
Plus we have a zoo, and the wife names all of them, talks to them, lol!

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to cut 10 frags of the immo and it will still be harder to find than most of the pieces on the market :xd:

So that means he has 9 left!!!
One for meeeeeeeeeeeee! woot wooooot :kiss:

bushh23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to cut 10 frags of the immo and it will still be harder to find than most of the pieces on the market :xd:

See now we are talkin!! Cut'em up!!

Seriously though it also has a lot to do with hype. With hype comes higher prices. I have found some people on here who will go the extra mile to talk to you and explain what they have and what they like and how other pieces stack up. I will continue to buy from them. They help guide me away from scandulous people who just buy/sell all day long and never value the importance of keeping the piece because you wanted it and not because you are trying to buy everything to resell for profit. What also helps me a lot is going back through the old chalice threads on here or the other sites. You would be surprised how many times someone has posted the same frag pic 10 times through out the year. That just makes me wonder about that individual and if i want to buy from them. I get recommendations from fellow reefers on who to PM on certain things i am looking for and i think that is the best way to find the ones you want. The selling forums can help but are mostly overpriced and filled with people just looking for a buck. I know there is nothing wrong with that, but each person has to have their own set of rules for reefing and i think these are mine!

bushh23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see the piece on 3 different boards, then you know the price will be high as they are really trying to hype it up and maximize the number of people who see it....ie. The Trop Acid Trip!

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think a lot of people want to post in this thread, for fear of making the "wrong" person mad.

It is what it is...

sailfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another friend of Bill W. here.

I love nice corals and will spend more then most reefers for something I like but the chalice prices are just to much for me. I always laugh when I see someone post new frags $250 for one eye. There is a pic of a tiny frag that looks nice. Then someone asks for a picture of the mother colony the seller post a picture of a 1.5" by 2.5" piece. I think to my self that is a frag not a mother colony. LOL

How do you know what your tiny frag will look like when it's colony if you can't even see one to begin with.

I have spent over $300 for a coral but it is 6"x8" blood red acan Hille and it is a show piece of my tank. Not a tiny frag that will take 3 years to become a show piece. I alos have several LE sps.

I hate to say this here as I enjoy this site but I think some forums here help to drive up prices. Don't hate the messenger hate the message.

Joe

Last edited:

bushh23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another friend of Bill W. here.

I love nice corals and will spend more then most reefers for something I like but the chalice prices are just to much for me. I always laugh when I see someone post new frags $250 for one eye. There is a pic of a tiny frag that looks nice. Then someone asks for a picture of the mother colony the seller post a picture of a 1.5" by 2.5" piece. I think to my self that is a frag not a mother colony. LOL

How do you know what your tiny frag will like when it's colony if you can't even see one to begin with.

I have spent over $300 for a coral but it is 6"x8" blood red acan Hille and it is a show piece of my tank. Not a tiny frag that will take 3 years to become a show piece. I alos have several LE sps.

I hate to say this here as I enjoy this site but I think some forums here help to drive up prices. Don't hate the messenger hate the message.

Joe

Agreed!! Nothing like buying a spec from a just as small frag piece!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back