Coral Pricing

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just another internet pion who has been waiting 15years to set up my dream saltwater tank due to the military!!!

I wish I was as cool as I think I am though :X

Lifes too short to not be able to laugh at yourself and have a good time....

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the feeling of something you have and givin it away easy ;)...

Matt - nice piece

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a double edged sword is all. We all want the really nice stuff for a song, and want you to do the work to bring it in, build those relationships, frag it up, ship it out, and do it all over AGAIN for FREE

Come on now, is that toooooo much to ask?

Fish n' Frags

Gold Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Steve! Thats the one i was talking about with you. I see a lot of potential in that one.

And yes, its too much to ask... LOL

Chris22582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is considered fair? I mean does someone need to make 200% profit or is 400 600 1000? lol Oil companies are even fair by this logic. The need to find it and they never charge more than a fair profit. lol Its all good tho. I understand business. Buy something for as little as possible and fleece all you can to makes as much as possible. Love it or hate it that is the world of business. :)

OP
OP
mpoletti

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for another post but here is another example. I'm in a defensive mood today... :)

I've been in business for just over a year now. I've been buying from the same supplier for that long, bringing in shipments every few weeks. Now, this is the first "alien eye"/"watermelon" chalice i've ever gotten. Nope, it is not proven, but there is no way that after waiting for this long, being patient, and working my way up the ladder to build a relationship with my supplier that i'm just going to give it away. Does this make sense or am i all alone here?

Not at all Matt. That is your job, to make money and I have no problem with it. Believe me. I pay to play :D

This business is really cutthroat and I wouldn't want to do it...well, maybe not ;)

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is considered fair? I mean does someone need to make 200% profit or is 400 600 1000? lol Oil companies are even fair by this logic. The need to find it and they never charge more than a fair profit. lol Its all good tho. I understand business. Buy something for as little as possible and fleece all you can to makes as much as possible. Love it or hate it that is the world of business. :)

This is not like property, oil, or any other necessity that has been affected by speculators. These are 100% without question unecessary luxury items. As such, I'm not sure there is a "fair"...

If someone doesn't want to spend X amount, then they won't buy it. Their life will not be altered because of that choice.

Chris22582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not like property, oil, or any other necessity that has been affected by speculators. These are 100% without question unecessary luxury items. As such, I'm not sure there is a "fair"...

I used it as an example. But take it how you want. :wink:

Chris22582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If someone doesn't want to spend X amount, then they won't buy it. Their life will not be altered because of that choice.

You wrote that wrong. Its cant afford. But thats how is generally goes if you have money you get what you want when you want. If your like most people you get the scraps left behind. lol But you have the right to look at it that way. Have to love living in a free country. That why you can sell anything you want for anything you can. I dont mind it really just shows peoples true colors in the end. :feel_good:

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I meant "won't buy it", not "can't afford it".

Not having the money in your pocket or bank account = can't afford it.

Not buying it because you think the price isn't fair = won't buy it

:D

Chris22582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol nice try. Do a poll for most of us we cant afford to spend a months rent on 2 or 3 corals. Doesnt mean it wasnt in my pocket. lol :D

Fish n' Frags

Gold Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess bottom line for me is this, and it will show MY true colors. I started this business as a hobby but lets face it. I'm a small operation compared to most, and i can't support my family selling mushrooms and green pagoda cups! LOL

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey no fair, sneaky post editor!! :p

I need to wait a bit to reply I guess :D :D

Chris22582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess bottom line for me is this, and it will show MY true colors. I started this business as a hobby but lets face it. I'm a small operation compared to most, and i can't support my family selling mushrooms and green pagoda cups! LOL

I understand that you need to make a profit. Would expect you not to. As long as you can look yourself in the mirror in the morning Id say you arent doing to bad. You dont force anyone to buy them. Just keep most from enjoying them. That is business.

I will say I always admire the pictures of your corals I get to see. Sucks that I probly wont ever be able to afford them. lol :)

KEEPERZ

TOTM March 08'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just keep doing you Matt-adjust as you see fit-

I know the feeling of something you have and givin it away easy ;)...

the way I see it

If it's business- a regular customer= good feeling

If it's social- a friend or have had many trades with= good feeling

How much I paid to get it,how I got it, how rare it is gets set to the side for these instances- otherwise it's business as usual

Psychographic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are a collector, it's in your nature to seek out the latest and most desired, this is true if you are collecting Stamps, Dolls, Hot Wheel Cars or Corals. It's what collectors do. The bad thing is, it keeps nice pieces out of the hands of the average hobbiests, especially in these times of people losing their jobs left and right.

Now that the collectors and wholesalers know the value of the latest fad coral, the price is just going to keep going up, because now they want some of this easy money.

Another thing is ego, everyone want's to be known in this hobby, and what is the easiest way to be known? Wheel and deal the high end stuff. I think it's too late to try to bring down the prices of "desired" corals, people are getting used to the idea that if it's desired, your gonna have to give up an arm or a leg.

The only thing that will stop it, is a ban on imported corals, or to price them so high that they sit in the dealers tanks, because so few people can afford them. I hope the first never happens, and the odds of running out of people not willing to pay whatever it costs to have the latest and greatest coral is slim to none.

I'm curious, what is the cut off point on what you would pay for a frag?

$200, $500, $1,000?

Chris22582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to say Im not tring to ruffle anyones feather. If you can sell something you bought for a few hundred for a few thosand thats great and good luck to you on it. :)

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 27 39.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 51.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back