Coral quarantining

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,
So, I have this question that I want to ask and it’s either a stupid one or a great one that I can use. Since, I cannot quarantine corals (I really want to though) as I need a chiller (my parents won’t allow me to get one as it’s really expensive) I was wondering if I can quarantine my corals in my sump. I mean the whole idea of quarantining is to have the corals in a separate system and get rid of the pests before adding it to the tank, but hear me out. So, I was think if I could make a coral frag system connected to my sump almost like a display refugium. I have plenty of space in my sump so, I can put a tank over the sump. I was think of putting a pump in the protein skimmer section which will pump the water into the tank and from where the water will come out, I will put a 100 micron filter sock so that nothing can get into the main display. Do you think this will work? I am hoping that that 100 micron filter sock will stop all the pests from going into the main display as they will get stuck in the filter sock or at least thats what I’m hoping. Please let me know if this will work, so that I can keep the pests out of the tank even though it is basically connected to the tank. This means I would not need a chiller for my tank and i can ’quarantine’ my corals. I could also use that tank as a frag system when I am not quarantining any corals. If this doesn’t work, I have a different plan, but this will be better for me. Thanks! Please let me know. Take care!

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QTing in sump is not best, as it defeats the purpose of a separate tank, due to sump and DT being plumb. I would say just acclimate and dip and place it in DT or sump.. does not matter

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need a much smaller micron size to catch all possible things. Maybe 5 micron felt would work for a lot? Not sure. You could also possibly plum a uv sterilizer on the exit of the small qt (maybe, I am not sure). A very slow flow though it could work with the sock.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back