Coral Quirks

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A recent post reminded me of a time when I didn’t know as much about some coral quirks. Thought I’d share some for the newbies. Feel free to add.

Duncan corals often hide for months. You pick up a beauty. You get a green skeleton, fluorescent though, for months on end. Here they come back! Yay! Hey, where’d you go?

Pulsing Xenia are cool as heck. Then you have a million cool as heck soft corals on everything.

Bird’s nest corals get just to the point where you start taking bragging photos, and then the whole danged thing dies except for one little one-inch frag that you can cut off and effectively start over. Always look for that one little stupid frag so that you can brag again in two years.

Zoas and Aiptasia get along too well.

Montipora Capricornis won’t stop. It’s like pulsing Xenia, almost. At least it’s easier to butcher.

Green star polyps look ugly underneath. We put them way up high so that they don’t become pulsing Xenia. But then they send out cruddy tentacles of purple gunk where the new stuff is shading out the old. Ugly.

LPS like Candy canes and frogspawns hate high flow. If you clean your pump and put it back in the slightest bit differently, you might wake up in the morning with a patch of LPS skeleton.

Goniopora doesn’t die like they say. It’s your coolest LPS by far. Just ask your clownfish.

Yellow polyps are really Stadium mustard polyps. Brown, with a very slight yellow.

Cyphastrea and leptoseris are way cooler than you think. Get lots of varieties. You will love them especially at night.

Candy canes are just OK unless you feed them reef roids. Then they are almost as fun as zoas.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back