Coral? Sponge? Something else?

Resilient

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a collection of some starter critters like pods from the LFS. Also included this guy, I know he told me what it was at the store, but the list was long and I forgot.

Its probably about an inch and attached to a little piece of rock I think. Seems to shrink a lot at night then goes back to full size during the light.

PXL_20240115_202643135.MP.jpg

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd agree with the other about it being a leather coral. I hope it opens up for you soon, then get another picture and post an update here. If it's attached to some rubble already, you can try gluing that rubble down to your scape or to a bigger frag plug.

I'd highly recommend you ask the LFS next time you go, exactly what it is.

I'm the same way btw, when I'm picking stuff up from the LFS. I get excited, throw my money at them, and skip my happy rear-end right out the door.

One of the things I do is take a quick video showing the piece I'm getting and then making sure I capture the sign if there is one, or have the LFS person say it out loud as I'm getting the video so I have a record. Then I jot it down in my notebook at home. I also recently started a digital " coral notebook", where I insert a picture of the piece and I don't leave the store until I've put in exactly what it is.

I think it's important to remember the species because of coral warfare. I didn't realize how crazy it can get, even with types that are supposed to be chill. But it's important to know what you've got so you know where to place it or where to place future pieces so they don't kill each other. Good luck!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 96 80.7%
  • Other.

Back