Pods, or something else?

MattPLaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have a question about critters in my tank. I will start by saying, I cannot get a picture, these things are Tiny!

Recently I have noticed, mostly in the morning that there are tiny white dots the size of a little air bubble or about the diameter of a mechanical pencil lead In my tank. They are all over the glass, and floating in the water column. I can see them moving of their own accord. They kind of flit around jumping back in forth in a not very smooth motion. It's easiest to see with the ones on the glass but if I turn off the flow I can see it with the ones in the water column.

I added a refugium with some chaeto about 3 weeks ago. So are these tiny little guys beneficial copepods? Or is it something else?
Also if they are beneficial copepods, is it the more the merrier? Or should I be trying to control their population?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are these tiny little guys beneficial copepods? Or is it something else?
Also if they are beneficial copepods, is it the more the merrier? Or should I be trying to control their population?
Yeah, as long as they don't look like tiny jellyfish, the description sounds like pods to me - if so, then yeah, you generally can't have an overpopulation of pods in a tank. So, nothing to be concerned about there.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like beneficial pods in a population boom. They tend to reduce in number over time unless you add things like phyto. Great food source for fish and such

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back