Pods, or something else?

MattPLaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have a question about critters in my tank. I will start by saying, I cannot get a picture, these things are Tiny!

Recently I have noticed, mostly in the morning that there are tiny white dots the size of a little air bubble or about the diameter of a mechanical pencil lead In my tank. They are all over the glass, and floating in the water column. I can see them moving of their own accord. They kind of flit around jumping back in forth in a not very smooth motion. It's easiest to see with the ones on the glass but if I turn off the flow I can see it with the ones in the water column.

I added a refugium with some chaeto about 3 weeks ago. So are these tiny little guys beneficial copepods? Or is it something else?
Also if they are beneficial copepods, is it the more the merrier? Or should I be trying to control their population?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are these tiny little guys beneficial copepods? Or is it something else?
Also if they are beneficial copepods, is it the more the merrier? Or should I be trying to control their population?
Yeah, as long as they don't look like tiny jellyfish, the description sounds like pods to me - if so, then yeah, you generally can't have an overpopulation of pods in a tank. So, nothing to be concerned about there.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like beneficial pods in a population boom. They tend to reduce in number over time unless you add things like phyto. Great food source for fish and such

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back