Coral Spotlight | Stylocoeniella

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common names: Thorn coral

Difficulty level: Stylocoeniella is a very sensitive SPS coral with stable alkalinity, calcium, nutrient levels and full spectrum lower lighting being a must.

Feeding: As with most SPS corals, small suspended particulate food will be accepted.

Lighting: Thorn coral is a semi-cryptic low light coral that seems to need a fuller spectrum. Many times they thrive even in shade or on the back wall of aquariums.

Waterflow: As with most SPS, higher flow is a must for styloC.

Placement: They should be placed near the bottom of aquariums on rock that they may encrust and cover. Take care to keep LPS and other more aggressive corals away.

General: StyloC is another awesome dark zone grower much like cyphastrea. Use it to fill in those blank spots where not even soft coral will grow at the base of your reef.

https://captivecoral.net/portfolio/stylocoeniella/
dded87b6d4af43ad5a9768194735ed50.jpg
5a9c4a0eda25baf9f258cad2c98894cc.jpg
952d52286dee0a14b7784c5d2de476fe.jpg

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way back then I saw this weird looking hitchhiker and cut it off. Glued it to a piece of rock that started growing & displayed a very dark bluish purple base with white polyps and neon green mouths. Unfortunately my water parameters didn't meet it's expectations and the Stylocoeniella starting peeling and eventually lost the colony. :(

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good info, thanks for posting. I bought a stylo pack a year or so back and they never seem to grow for me. After reading your writeup I wonder if I’m giving them too much light?!

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a burnin banana as one of my first frags. It has great polyp extension but doesn't have that bright yellow coloration I have seen in pictures. I'm wondering if its lighting. I do have it in a shaded area but I don't run really strong light to begin with

OP
OP
mikejrice

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a burnin banana as one of my first frags. It has great polyp extension but doesn't have that bright yellow coloration I have seen in pictures. I'm wondering if its lighting. I do have it in a shaded area but I don't run really strong light to begin with
Might be a difference in lighting spectrum.

Superfizzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the clearest picture but I just got a burning banana and it's polyps have really extended out over the first 3 days and I'm seeing new growth already. I have it 9 inches down in between 2 radion g4's running ab+. Lots of light as I thought this was an sps coral...i guess I'll keep you posted on how it does in high par.
20190930_191019.jpg

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the clearest picture but I just got a burning banana and it's polyps have really extended out over the first 3 days and I'm seeing new growth already. I have it 9 inches down in between 2 radion g4's running ab+. Lots of light as I thought this was an sps coral...i guess I'll keep you posted on how it does in high par.
20190930_191019.jpg
Mine always had great polyp extension but took awhile to find the right spot to get that bright green/yellow color

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green one that is very fluffy and always looks like it sparkles.
97E83634-3A6B-46D4-8ACB-D6007C9A5764.jpeg

Last edited:

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I love all the colony shots of this coral guys. Well done, something you don’t see that often anymore is colonies.
I saw non acro sps was going to become collectible a while back. People used to look over these corals a LOT and even though I don’t care to keep them I am glad others have taken more interest in them.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought they needed alot of light so they can be all the way on the bottom where theres a bit of flow just like acans?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back