Coral Stampede | 40% OFF AFTER SALE | GOING ON NOW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

wes84

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stand corrected about the Orphek.

As far as acrylic, 1/4' is best considering that when you push down on the viewing box, you will get some pressure. Better to spend a couple more bucks and know your expensive smart phone is safer incase you made a faulty weld. This vendor is the cheapest I've found and they have great customer service. I get all my stuff from them.

Ok. Wasnt sure if 1/4 would start to affect the photo quality. My eshopps looks like its 1/8” but im guessing thats more about keeping cost down. I have plenty of 1/4” clear cast to build one but thanks for the link. My local supplier is pretty expensive so a more cost effective option is always welcome

CodyBot

Game Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ok. Wasnt sure if 1/4 would start to affect the photo quality. My eshopps looks like its 1/8” but im guessing thats more about keeping cost down. I have plenty of 1/4” clear cast to build one but thanks for the link. My local supplier is pretty expensive so a more cost effective option is always welcome
Yeah I'm the same as you. I typically use what I have on hand. 1/8" would be fine too for the face, but I like the sides being rigid so that I can force the box down a little bit with more control and not worry. The cost difference isn't a big deal, but when you have a $1000 piece of electronics submerged a few inches below the water, better to error on the side of safety. The depth plunged is going to have an inverse relationship to head pressure, and I've built 12" tall dosing containers out of 1/8" thick before with no issues, but you get my point.

Oh, also, I think the fully clear box I have has 6" tall sides so I can push down further or get more lateral angles without flooding the box. I bought some of those touch screen pens and use those with one hand to hit the capture button while manning the box with the other.

wes84

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm the same as you. I typically use what I have on hand. 1/8" would be fine too for the face, but I like the sides being rigid so that I can force the box down a little bit with more control and not worry. The cost difference isn't a big deal, but when you have a $1000 piece of electronics submerged a few inches below the water, better to error on the side of safety. The depth plunged is going to have an inverse relationship to head pressure, and I've built 12" tall dosing containers out of 1/8" thick before with no issues, but you get my point.

Oh, also, I think the fully clear box I have has 6" tall sides so I can push down further or get more lateral angles without flooding the box. I bought some of those touch screen pens and use those with one hand to hit the capture button while manning the box with the other.
The touch screen pen is a great idea! Trying to hit the capture button has been a task while holding still in focus and not flooding the box lol. The fact that my phone was too big to sit flat saved me once when i pushed the angle of the box a little too far lol!

I just did a quick comparison on a 1/4” x 12 x 24 sheet from your website and my local place. It is cheaper to pay $18 shipping from there than to pick it up from my local place. Definitely bookmarking that site!

Coral-vault

DFW's Premier Aquatics Dealer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The touch screen pen is a great idea! Trying to hit the capture button has been a task while holding still in focus and not flooding the box lol. The fact that my phone was too big to sit flat saved me once when i pushed the angle of the box a little too far lol!

I just did a quick comparison on a 1/4” x 12 x 24 sheet from your website and my local place. It is cheaper to pay $18 shipping from there than to pick it up from my local place. Definitely bookmarking that site!

I always liked using orange glasses the best for iPhone photos. Some corals the camera lens worked better but for most the standard brand new orange glasses was our favorite. However I did learn that the older the glasses get the lens does something weird and they don't take very good photos. Also every pair of glasses takes a photos differently I would assume because of production variances

Coral-vault

DFW's Premier Aquatics Dealer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@CodyBot here is our rig
IMG_3672.jpeg

IMG_3678.jpeg

CodyBot

Game Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@CodyBot here is our rig
IMG_3672.jpeg

IMG_3678.jpeg
Almost identical setup to mine! I have a Canon Rebel T3, a Canon 100mm macro, and the same BAO dipper too! I don't have those fancy lights though. I'm shocked they don't cause glare, but judging by your pictures, they clearly don't. What kind of light is that?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back