Coral stocking plan and rate of introduction

Amtrack5899

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon tank that is 2 months old. I have 10 small fish , the largest being a fox face. I have added a couple of soft corals, 6 to 8 zoas and a couple of LPS frags. They seem to be doing well. At what rate should you add corals to a relatively new tank and at what point can I start adding some SPS corals? How many corals and how often should I introduce additional corals?
I have My Radion G5 15 Lights on for about 6 hours and am increasing this time 15 minutes per day. My 2 MP40s are on for about 2 hours each at different times during the day to alternate flow And are set At the lowest flow possible. Should I gradually increase the powerhead time and flow speed similar to my light Schedule or are they run independent from the light schedule?

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally u need to see coraline algae growing before u can put SPS. Also if u increase the number of corals u need to test regularly for calc and alk to ensure u r meeting the consumption demand. SPS require stability and relatively mature tank... that's the key

Best of luck

Idaho Lone Wolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As noted above by Ulm, you need to watch your Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium levels closely as you add coral. IMO, SPS corals need pristine water conditions and a more mature tank. RODI water for water changes and top offs is very important as is good water flow. LPS are more forgiving and don't require such pristine water conditions. I don't really understand how you are using your MP40 power heads. Do you have a controller for the MP40s that has preset programs? I run my two MP40s on my 180 gal reef tank on a random reef program in the controller, plus have two additional power heads that alternate off/on every 10 seconds and two SeaSwirls for return water from the sump. These run 24/7. Corals require massive random water flow. Before you get too carried away with getting corals, I recommend you do some research on required water flow for your tank. You have a good lighting system, know where you need to place corals. My LPS corals like moderate lighting (lower in the tank) and my SPS corals want more intense lighting (higher in the tank). Start your SPS corals lower in the tank and then gradually raise them into positions so they don't bleach out due to too much lighting too fast. One last thing... don't add leather corals with LPS and SPS corals. I don't think they coexist well together. Good luck.

OP
OP
A

Amtrack5899

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thankyou for the response. I am using an apex controller to control the on off cycle of my power heads. They are located on either side lengthwise on the tank. I also have a small MP10 Located on the back of the tank to blow out a cave area to avoid this Becoming a dead spot. Right now each power head is only on 1 to 2 hours each at different times to alternate the flow pattern. The recirc pump runs 24/7.

OP
OP
A

Amtrack5899

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did buy 2 bottles of coralline algae from ArcReef and put that in the tank about a month ago. I hope to see it Start to appear on my rocks in about another month. Based on that and your previous response I’m probably 3 to 4 months away from my first SPS.

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did buy 2 bottles of coralline algae from ArcReef and put that in the tank about a month ago. I hope to see it Start to appear on my rocks in about another month. Based on that and your previous response I’m probably 3 to 4 months away from my first SPS.
Sounds like you already know what's going on and on the right path. I would have that that the coraline algae bottle would have stimulated coraline algae growth faster than you anticipate. It would be great if you can share some feedback/update on it as it establishes. Perhaps a build thread with photos if you like.

Back