Coral suggestions

marktheshark87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to add some coral to brighten up my 15 gallon tank,

so far I got a torch coral which I can’t tell if it’s dying or maintaining. the tentacles are kinda lumpy during the day and sometimes almost fully retract during the night.

My pulsing Xenia is doing really well and is multiplying like crazy. Then I got a green leather cabbage coral, seems to be doing alright, starting to attach to the rock, but is mostly pinkish now with a green tinge every now and then. I did have some green candy cane coral but it didn’t do so well I was feeding brine shrimp but I don’t think it was eating too well and my snail kept knocking it over

was looking for suggestions for a coral for new beginners that don’t need such strict water parameters

Attachments

• 70081755003__82D8B88D-DE41-48D3-8E8D-F1E834722323.MOV
    3.5 MB

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to add some coral to brighten up my 15 gallon tank,

so far I got a torch coral which I can’t tell if it’s dying or maintaining. the tentacles are kinda lumpy during the day and sometimes almost fully retract during the night.

My pulsing Xenia is doing really well and is multiplying like crazy. Then I got a green leather cabbage coral, seems to be doing alright, starting to attach to the rock, but is mostly pinkish now with a green tinge every now and then. I did have some green candy cane coral but it didn’t do so well I was feeding brine shrimp but I don’t think it was eating too well and my snail kept knocking it over

was looking for suggestions for a coral for new beginners that don’t need such strict water parameters
Hi!
I can recommend you the following: Ricordeas, Discosomas, Tree corals (capnella), zoas, photosynthetic gorgonians, +if you can take the risk maybe an Acan lord but start with a cheap one these work for me very well and I'm not good with the water chemistry. (in my opinion the first 4 are the best my ricordea survived everything not to mention discosomas)

Tip: glue every coral to it's place I had a candy cane but my hermit kept knocking it off until it died if you're afraid that you can't move the frag to a new location, just use coral putty

Upvote 0

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of light do you have over the tank?

Some easy ones to brighten things up would be blastos (kudos if you get a red variety), some acans, zoas are easy enough but be careful about which ones because some take over--speaking of which, that xenia is going to dominate your tank if you let it grow unchecked. A pink nepthea would look nice from a little rock island next to your scape (koji wada). A nice sand bed showpiece is good to add like a scoly or trachy. Maybe add a macro like red grape (Botrycladia) which also helps filter your water. Lots you can do in 15 gallons! ... Before you decide to upgrade to bigger, haha.

Oh, and of course! Can't beat the color from rock flower anemones, and they are easy.

Upvote 0

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some easy ones to brighten things up would be blastos (kudos if you get a red variety), some acans, zoas are easy enough but be careful about which ones because some take over--speaking of which, that xenia is going to dominate your tank if you let it grow unchecked. A pink nepthea would look nice from a little rock island next to your scape (koji wada). A nice sand bed showpiece is good to add like a scoly or trachy. Maybe add a macro like red grape (Botrycladia) which also helps filter your water. Lots you can do in 15 gallons! ... Before you decide to upgrade to bigger, haha.

Oh, and of course! Can't beat the color from rock flower anemones, and they are easy.
depending on budget a button scoly would be a cool sand bed addition
red grape and other macros look super good in contrast to corals & such !

Upvote 0

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my favorite for smaller tanks is zoas before anything else since there’s so much variety

*keep in mind the growth rate of what you’re getting if you plan on putting it on the main scape

photosynthetic gorgonians are usually easy going and a fun shape for nanos

not a coral but feather duster worms are also sweet in nano tanks for more variety

firework clove polyps are another cool piece

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

marktheshark87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok how do I control the growth of the Xenia it’s pretty much taking over my whole top rock, right under the light, believe the light is a fluval nano marine

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

marktheshark87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
I can recommend you the following: Ricordeas, Discosomas, Tree corals (capnella), zoas, photosynthetic gorgonians, +if you can take the risk maybe an Acan lord but start with a cheap one these work for me very well and I'm not good with the water chemistry. (in my opinion the first 4 are the best my ricordea survived everything not to mention discosomas)

Tip: glue every coral to it's place I had a candy cane but my hermit kept knocking it off until it died if you're afraid that you can't move the frag to a new location, just use coral putty
Do you have a glue that you’d recommend?

Upvote 0

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok how do I control the growth of the Xenia it’s pretty much taking over my whole top rock, right under the light, believe the light is a fluval nano marine
I'll defer to some of the more experienced xenia choppers. I keep mine reatricted to an island in the corner and the glass (which it decided to spread to itself).

Upvote 0

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on budget a button scoly would be a cool sand bed addition
red grape and other macros look super good in contrast to corals & such !
This one cost me $25 on a live sale. Not a bleeding apple or war paint but has beautiful colors and contrast--sorry, no orphek lens handy.
PXL_20230318_145521057.MP.jpg

Upvote 0

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one cost me $25 on a live sale. Not a bleeding apple or war paint but has beautiful colors and contrast--sorry, no orphek lens handy.
PXL_20230318_145521057.MP.jpg
looks sweet, i got mine the same way for same price

Attachments

• FB5CFD79-5DFA-41B5-B590-6538BECCDD70.jpeg
    FB5CFD79-5DFA-41B5-B590-6538BECCDD70.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back