Expensive coral lesson

RooftopKorean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I recently bought a torch coral and a hammer coral for my first ever corals but unfortunately I was too rough with the torch coral while dipping because I really wanted to make sure there was 0 chance of bringing in a parasite. I dipped it first with "frag recover" from brightwell aquatics and after it seemed stressed but still started to open up after I put it in the tank. I realized I should've used coralRX though because that takes care of parasites whereas fragrecover is just for disease so I went out and got coral RX and dipped both the corals again. This is where I think the torch died because after it only started to retract more and more and saw a polyp bail out earlier that day. I still put it on the sand bed in hopes of the coral opening up after reading that it was possible but not likely. The surviving polyps continued to get dim and died out. My question is, I have this brown stuff which doesn't look like BJD on the coral and am wondering if I should take it out, clean it out then put it back in the tank and if there's really a chance it could possibly come back.

Thank you!

coral.jpg

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great name and welcome. That looks gone to me or very close to gone if not. Highest chance/if any at this point is leave it alone. Sorry to say my bet is crabs/shrimp will have it cleaned to the bone by morning.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could come back, but it is not likely. I would just take it out.

Dips can be harsh. CoralRx is a harsh dip. Corals can die from dips. Coral QT is better, but I understand that this might not be in the plan at this time. Bayer is a more gentle dip.

Brown Jelly Disease is a condition from unhealthy corals more than a disease, IMO. It is just from things that are already in the tank/symbiont and only present in a negative form for stressed or dying corals. Healthy corals do not get it. It will not spread or anything like real diseases do. The BJD term is just too oversimplified and overused, IMO. This particular coral was not going to die of BJD if you did not damage the tissue as you suspect.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I recently bought a torch coral and a hammer coral for my first ever corals but unfortunately I was too rough with the torch coral while dipping because I really wanted to make sure there was 0 chance of bringing in a parasite. I dipped it first with "frag recover" from brightwell aquatics and after it seemed stressed but still started to open up after I put it in the tank. I realized I should've used coralRX though because that takes care of parasites whereas fragrecover is just for disease so I went out and got coral RX and dipped both the corals again. This is where I think the torch died because after it only started to retract more and more and saw a polyp bail out earlier that day. I still put it on the sand bed in hopes of the coral opening up after reading that it was possible but not likely. The surviving polyps continued to get dim and died out. My question is, I have this brown stuff which doesn't look like BJD on the coral and am wondering if I should take it out, clean it out then put it back in the tank and if there's really a chance it could possibly come back.

Thank you!

coral.jpg
It is probably best to take it out. Sorry for your loss.
Don’t give up

OP
OP
RooftopKorean

RooftopKorean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great name and welcome. That looks gone to me or very close to gone if not. Highest chance/if any at this point is leave it alone. Sorry to say my bet is crabs/shrimp will have it cleaned to the bone by morning.
Thank you! I do want to leave it alone for the tiny chance of it coming back but I don't have any cleaning crews in my tank yet, would this be a good time now to add them or should I clean the dead polyps myself?

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I do want to leave it alone for the tiny chance of it coming back but I don't have any cleaning crews in my tank yet, would this be a good time now to add them or should I clean the dead polyps myself?
You could add a clean up crew to help out with some algae around the tank.

OP
OP
RooftopKorean

RooftopKorean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could come back, but it is not likely. I would just take it out.

Dips can be harsh. CoralRx is a harsh dip. Corals can die from dips. Coral QT is better, but I understand that this might not be in the plan at this time. Bayer is a more gentle dip.

Brown Jelly Disease is a condition from unhealthy corals more than a disease, IMO. It is just from things that are already in the tank/symbiont and only present in a negative form for stressed or dying corals. Healthy corals do not get it. It will not spread or anything like real diseases do. The BJD term is just too oversimplified and overused, IMO. This particular coral was not going to die of BJD if you did not damage the tissue as you suspect.
My 15 gallon AIO did just come in today to be used as a Coral QT! Do you still dip before putting them in? and that's good info, I've been seeing "BJD" being thrown around so much I thought it was super common regardless of the health of your coral. Thanks for the good info!

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 15 gallon AIO did just come in today to be used as a Coral QT! Do you still dip before putting them in? and that's good info, I've been seeing "BJD" being thrown around so much I thought it was super common regardless of the health of your coral. Thanks for the good info!
I would always dip a coral before putting it in any tank.

OP
OP
RooftopKorean

RooftopKorean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add a clean up crew to help out with some algae around the tank.
awesome, it looks like another trip to my LFS is in order! Or are there any reputable sites to buy clean up crews from that's better than fish stores? While feeding today, I did notice some yellow spots on my dry rock. I'm still researching but I think a clean up crew might help with that as well. Thank you for your kind words by the way

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome, it looks like another trip to my LFS is in order! Or are there any reputable sites to buy clean up crews from that's better than fish stores? While feeding today, I did notice some yellow spots on my dry rock. I'm still researching but I think a clean up crew might help with that as well. Thank you for your kind words by the way
No problem. Happy to help.
I would recommend ordering a cleanup crew from ReefCleaners.
I will leave a link below.
Send us a picture of the yellow algae. I am no expert on algae growth but I am sure someone else can tell you.

OP
OP
RooftopKorean

RooftopKorean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some photos of my tank. I only noticed it today and it might not be too visible right away but at some spots there's a yellow tint and this is the same under different lightning. I did some googling and apparently this is normal for new tanks and will go away in weeks but better to be safe!

Attachments

• IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0222.jpg
    IMG_0222.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0223.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
RooftopKorean

RooftopKorean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh and as for Parameters,
PH - 7.8 (API saltwater test kit)
Ammonia - 0.25 (API saltwater test kit, trying to get this to 0 using API ammo lock 30 ml every 2 days and tomorrow I might do a 25% water change)
Nitrite - 0 PPM (API saltwater test kit)
Nitrate - 20 PPM (API saltwater test kit)
Phosphate - 0.02 (Hanna) / was 0.08 ppm 2 days ago though so, I'm thinking of buying a reactor for GFO to turn on for when I need it IF I need it
KH - 0.50 (Aqua forest)
Salinity - 34.5 (hanna)
Calcium - 581 (hanna)

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some photos of my tank. I only noticed it today and it might not be too visible right away but at some spots there's a yellow tint and this is the same under different lightning. I did some googling and apparently this is normal for new tanks and will go away in weeks but better to be safe!
It is normal.
In a few weeks you will see your tank turn completely brown. That is called the ugly stage.
It will go away on its own.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank looks brand new. I would wait 6 months till I put coral in unless you are super experienced...

You'll just be throwing money down the drain and get frustrated.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back