Quarantining Corals vs Fish?

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a secondary tank set up - it's a smaller one than my display tank, so I"m using this more of a quarantine/holding tank.

My LFS says that it's not necessary to quarantine corals and it's more for fish that I need to be careful about and have quarantine. If I dip the coral for 15 mins or so, is it enough to put directly in the display tank, or should I put into the second tank and observe for a couple of weeks?

Thanks

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started writing up a long explanation but I just don't know enough to do so and be confident it will be correct. Suffice it to say that I qt corals for 45 days after dipping to help keep fish disease out of my tank. I went through a bad disease die off and don't want to take any more chances.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure someone that knows more will post explaining the disease life cycles and how long you need to keep coral/inverts in a fishless environment to help keep diseases out

Username:Required

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs has some good videos on it. But each to their own but for sps u can introduce pest like acro eating flatworms where maybe if u qt that could have been prevented. But also I belive ick can live on corals in a way so u buy a coral that’s in a tank with ick can be transferred

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. So if Ich parasite is on the coral, and there's no fish in the tank, would the Ich die because it doesn't have a host?

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. So if Ich parasite is on the coral, and there's no fish in the tank, would the Ich die because it doesn't have
This is a chart from Humblefish
1711224975614.png

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the Tomonts sp? which is a life stage of ich can attach to coral and inverts but the free swimmers can't. If qt'ed in a fishless environment for a period of time (I use 45 days) the Tomonts will die off without a fish to host on.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back