Do You Quarantine Feeder Snails?

jellifishi

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2024
Messages
53
Reaction score
17
Location
Louisville
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at what cool things I could put in my tank, but already have a cleanup crew. My tank is still new, so they are the first thing I put in my tank (snails & 1 hermit). I didn't quarantine them, so are you supposed to quarantine snails or acclimate them to my saltwater and let them in? I was looking into some cool critters that might actually end up eating the snails from time to time, which I don't necessarily mind, so would it be safe to quarantine these "feeder" snails? How would it effect what eats them or the other invertebrates in the tank? (Ex: Ich or Velvet)

Thanks in advance!
 
Yeah, the safest route is quarantine them in a fishless tank for 60-76 days to ensure that 1 - any fish diseases (like ich) die off and don't infect your fish when you add the snails to the tank, and 2 - so you can remove any unwanted hitchhikers from the snails like hydroids, bubble algae, etc.

Inverts like snails bringing in disease is incredibly rare, but it does happen sometimes.
 
usually, and I mean USUALLy ;)
they house inverts/CUC’s separately or at least Reefcleaners does…
can’t speak for others
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new