OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't remove all the fish from your DT and treat them in QT then the disease in your tank will not go away. Fallow means no fish in the tank for 45 to 76 days. Perhaps a better option rather then adding more to the tank would be a period of hyposalinity with your remaining fish. Some say this will rid the tank of ich.
I have coral & invertebrates though … so riddle me that?

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the kind words. Yeah gave up after that and the tank went downhill. It was about 2 years old, was hard watching piece by piece die off and nothing I could do. Saddens me when pics on my fb memory pop up.
That’s how life is though my friend, I am going through the same thing.. not so much with my fish tank though, because I haven’t invested nearly the same amount of effort or time as you have .. nor do I have nearly a percentage of the talent or dedication that you have. I just made hasty decisions with this hobby and was not knowledgeable enough.

Fish_are_stoopid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That’s how life is though my friend, I am going through the same thing.. not so much with my fish tank though, because I haven’t invested nearly the same amount of effort or time as you have .. nor do I have nearly a percentage of the talent or dedication that you have. I just made hasty decisions with this hobby and was not knowledgeable enough.
Yeah my fish problems always stemmed from not quarantining. Guess I could blame that on my coral problems to. I did get lazy w dipping new stuff, but was only getting from 1 lfs. Was a harder pill for him to swallow when finding out he had them too.

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my fish problems always stemmed from not quarantining. Guess I could blame that on my coral problems to. I did get lazy w dipping new stuff, but was only getting from 1 lfs. Was a harder pill for him to swallow when finding out he had them too.
I can imagine, especially for letting a person like you down and such a nice tank or tanks. That’s how life is though, one small mistake can ruin a lot of things..

Fish_are_stoopid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can imagine, especially for letting a person like you down and such a nice tank or tanks. That’s how life is though, one small mistake can ruin a lot of things..
Agree. Thata why when I see fully grown out sps tanks that have thrived for years I am in ahh, knowing how 1 small mistake can make things go down so quickly.

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Thata why when I see fully grown out sps tanks that have thrived for years I am in ahh, knowing how 1 small mistake can make things go down so quickly.
Yes Sir, now I can understand why the government wants to put a stop to this hobby, because the only one that can care for those delicate creators is God, despite all of our efforts.

lucas-grimm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an ich breakout in my tank about 2 years ago and chose to run fallow for 3 months. I did add coral and inverts during this time as a few people have said they aren’t effected by ich, but they can be carriers of the eggs. I ended up reintroducing ich to my tank via some coral frag about a month after adding the fish back in. Since then I’ve just managed it and now I don’t see it on any fish at all. You need to decide between management and eradication as Humblefish has put it and he has plenty of great articles on both. Like a few other people said, still dip and clean the corals, but if you aren’t quarantining absolutely everything going into the tank, there’s still a chance ich will be reintroduced in the future and the fallow could be for nothing

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not planning on quarantining anything - fish / corals / inverts - then I would just put it in.

If it were me, I would still clean and dip corals though before you put it in.

Corals and inverts aren’t affected by ich as far as I am aware. But they can technically be carriers if eggs are on them.
Well, you definitely don’t wanna just shove or put anything in right off the bat technically invertebrates like shrimp can carry flukes and stuff like that in your tank. But you’re a gambling man. Just drop them in.

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an ich breakout in my tank about 2 years ago and chose to run fallow for 3 months. I did add coral and inverts during this time as a few people have said they aren’t effected by ich, but they can be carriers of the eggs. I ended up reintroducing ich to my tank via some coral frag about a month after adding the fish back in. Since then I’ve just managed it and now I don’t see it on any fish at all. You need to decide between management and eradication as Humblefish has put it and he has plenty of great articles on both. Like a few other people said, still dip and clean the corals, but if you aren’t quarantining absolutely everything going into the tank, there’s still a chance ich will be reintroduced in the future and the fallow could be for nothing
Thanks Lucas, how long would you say it usually takes for the eggs to hatch?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back