Adding Coral & invertebrates

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my display tank just went through ich and the majority of my fish didn’t make it. Since I only have a few fish left, can I add coral and invertebrates without quarantining them? I don’t plan on getting any new fish for a while.

Thank you in advance.

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Macbalanco, well what would be the point of setting up a quarantine tank if I don’t have to? I currently have a large tank with lots of rock and a little bit of coral and only 4-5 small fish in it, after a big ich breakout. That’s why I’m asking if it’s safe to just add the corals and invertebrates in the main tank.. this way there is more in the tank while I wait out the couple of months..

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not planning on quarantining anything - fish / corals / inverts - then I would just put it in.

If it were me, I would still clean and dip corals though before you put it in.

Corals and inverts aren’t affected by ich as far as I am aware. But they can technically be carriers if eggs are on them.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Macbalanco, well what would be the point of setting up a quarantine tank if I don’t have to? I currently have a large tank with lots of rock and a little bit of coral and only 4-5 small fish in it, after a big ich breakout. That’s why I’m asking if it’s safe to just add the corals and invertebrates in the main tank.. this way there is more in the tank while I wait out the couple of months..
If you leave the 4-5 small fish in the main tank, then "waiting it out" is pointless... Or are you already planning to treat the fish in a quarantine/hospital tank?

Fish_are_stoopid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes adding inverts and coral will be ok. They aren't harmed by ich. Ich is always going to be in your tank now though as you would need to go fallow with no hosts.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp lab makes an ich water treatment that effect the free swimming parasite. Have heard good stuff about it for people that got bad ich outbreaks in their tanks
Just, no.

Fish_are_stoopid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have read that ich can go dormant in certain areas in your tank if your fallow period isn't set up right. Had something to do with anaerobic areas in your tank. That's a bit beyond my scope of knowledge though. My pref was to wait a month or 2 then add more fish and kill them to. I liked coral more as my name suggests.

wheels4896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently siding polyp

i agree with Eeyorels.. that stuff is bonk. Just wait out the time period, otherwise you’re just setting yourself up for failure.
H2O2 dosing is really the only effective DT safe treatment option, and even it is not consistently effective in eradicating ich.

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that ich can go dormant in certain areas in your tank if your fallow period isn't set up right. Had something to do with anaerobic areas in your tank. That's a bit beyond my scope of knowledge though. My pref was to wait a month or 2 then add more fish and kill them to. I liked coral more as my name suggests.
Yes Sir, i agree .. I’m going fish-less for a couple of months - at least, despite my big investment in the tank (i know I should have had the garage built instead )I will add them in after the quarantine period. I lost a couple of thousand worth of fish and had to go through the sleepless nights of seeing them sick and heartbreaking moments of finding them dead in the morning.

Last edited:

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp lab makes an ich water treatment that effect the free swimming parasite. Have heard good stuff about it for people that got bad ich outbreaks in their tanks
I had the opposite experience. Tried both polyp labs and rally pro and my fish all died. Coral took a beating too.

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Sir, that’s exactly me. My fish dropped dead after dosing that stuff and my viejas dried out soon after.. There should be a class action lawsuit against them soon.

Fish_are_stoopid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes Sir, i agree .. I’m going fish-less for a couple of months - at least, despite my big investment is the tank (i know I should have had the garage built instead )I will add them in after the quarantine period. I lost a couple of thousand worth of fish and had to go through the sleepless nights of seeing them sick and heartbreaking moments of finding them dead in the morning.
I feel your pain. I lost my sps dom tank to aefw. Ill upload a pic of it in its glory days

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1687309342876.jpg
    FB_IMG_1687309342876.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 31
  • FB_IMG_1687309333523.jpg
    FB_IMG_1687309333523.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that was a work of art, I’m speechless. I can not only imagine how much effort went into that. You’re truly gifted for getting to that level and no one can take that away from you - ever. It’s hard to have goals after that though, since you already made it to the top

Fish_are_stoopid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Now that was a work of art, I’m speechless. I can not only imagine how much effort went into that. You’re truly gifted for getting to that level and no one can take that away from you - ever. It’s hard to have goals after that though, since you already made it to the top
Thank you for the kind words. Yeah gave up after that and the tank went downhill. It was about 2 years old, was hard watching piece by piece die off and nothing I could do. Saddens me when pics on my fb memory pop up.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't remove all the fish from your DT and treat them in QT then the disease in your tank will not go away. Fallow means no fish in the tank for 45 to 76 days. Perhaps a better option rather then adding more to the tank would be a period of hyposalinity with your remaining fish. Some say this will rid the tank of ich.

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s how life is though my friend, I am going through the same thing.. not so much with my fish tank though, because I haven’t invested nearly the same amount of effort or time as you have .. nor do I have nearly a percentage of the talent or dedication that you have. I just made hasty decisions with this hobby and was not knowledgeable enough.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back