Quarantine - Confusion /w Time Period

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in need of understanding proper quarantine procedures, and hopefully after this post, someone here will help me understand the following:

For example, if I put a fish/invert in quarantine tank on January 25th, and today (April 6th) I purchased a new fish and add it to the quarantine tank, does this mean that quarantine time period is reset back to zero days? So the fish I added on March 6th will now be back at day 1.

If this isn't the case then I'm more confused because if fish 2 contaminates the tank, then fish 1 will be potentially exposed to some disease even though fish 1 quarantine time period is over 70 days.

Thanks!

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you add a new fish to your QT setup, you restart the QT clock in full for all the fish in your QT tank. So in theory, if Fish A has been in quarantine 69 out of 70 days and you then add another fish, you should quarantine both fish for the full 70 days from the day you added the second fish. Of course, this topic is somewhat hotly debated here, so I'm sure you'll get some other opinions, but this is what I'm trying to adhere to. Good luck!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 76 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back