Cycle in QT?

DartTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I'm about to build my first saltwater tank after having taken a 10+ year break from my last freshwater. I will start working on a build thread soon.

In the meantime, my tank is ~1-2 weeks away, though I have everything else ready to go, including my quarantine tank.

Can I build my aquascape with live rock, and start the cycle in the QT prior to the DT getting here, and then transferring that water/rock over? If so, I wouldn't add the sand until I set up the DT. I have all of the Dr.Tim's method to cycle, but just excited, given that I'd be setting the QT tank up immediately as well to start purchasing first fish (clown pair) that would go in to the DT after cycle.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you're not using copper with the rocks in there.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

TANG-WELCOME.gif

If you intend to put fish in the QT immediately, we strongly recommend you follow the protocol linked below. It requires copper treatment for 30 days. Copper plus live rock is not a good idea since the live rock will absorb copper. Maintaining the correct copper concentration will be difficult due to that absorption. Also, the live rock will not be transferrable to your DT because the copper it absorbed will be leached back into the DT water making it uninhabitable by coral or invertebrates.

You can place a sponge filter in the QT and add Dr. Tim's or other bacteria products to assist in the cycling. Use several sponge filters in the QT and when you transfer your fish from QT to DT, you could also move one of the sponges speed up cycling there, as long as the sponge filter does not contain any material that would have absorbed copper.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back