QT first time

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those who have Quarantine Tank, when you purchase new fish, do you freshwater dip it before putting it to the Quarantine Tank?

If the fish looks ok from appearance, do you medicate i.e Copper or do you just put it into the Quarantine Tank and observe it for X days?

Planning to get Copperband Butterfly and this will be my first time doing quarantining so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

What do you normally do to new fish
1f420.png
purchase regardless before you quarantine them? I guess that's the question.
Is there a step that you will always do?

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I qt my first fish I already knew the disease that was supposed to be treated, but if I could go back I would.

1) put in qt w/ no medication (yet) and just inspect, take note of how much they eat, any scratching, any irregular behavior.

2) inspect for about 3 weeks, if nothing looks off and fish is eating well and showing no signs of any disease then they should be good to enter display.

If something looks off or fish won’t eat you definitely should treat and diagnose what it is your up against.

Note: I only have personal experience when it comes to qt, I am in no means a professional at all. This is just some advice that came to the top of my head.

Also note: if the fish is being shipped, do not introduce to copper immediately. Wait a few days and make sure it’s eating well

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note: I only have personal experience when it comes to qt, I am in no means a professional at all. This is just some advice that came to the top of my head.
that is cool, man.

We are all learning and i won't hold any accountable for any's advices. Thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back