Coral too close to the rock?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JK75gal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JK75gal

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 7, 2023
Messages
154
Reaction score
174
Location
Collegeville
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,
Coral fell off the frag it came with so I tried my hand at putting it directly to my rock. Simply put didn't notice (behind my hand) as I was holding it in place a couple branches were a bit close to the rock. The coral has not opened up in a couple days. If it is because it is almost or touching the rock how do I "fix" this?
coral.jpg


Thank you as always!!
 
It's a yellow gorgonian and it is a NPS coral. I have the same one.

For starters, you need to direct feed these. Mixed dried phytoplankton, live phyto, or something the polyps can grab.

Secondly, these gorgonian can have algae grow on them, they are supposed to be in high flow/low light to prevent algae growth.

Polyps should look like this when it wants to be fed.
P_20240320_192338.jpg
 
Gorgonian?
It cant be too close to the rock. There is something else going on. It looks like it's covered in mucus.
Thank you, it was fine until it came off it's frag. Could that simply be stress that will go away?
Appreciate the reply!
 
It's a yellow gorgonian and it is a NPS coral. I have the same one.

For starters, you need to direct feed these. Mixed dried phytoplankton, live phyto, or something the polyps can grab.

Secondly, these gorgonian can have algae grow on them, they are supposed to be in high flow/low light to prevent algae growth.

Polyps should look like this when it wants to be fed.
P_20240320_192338.jpg
Thank you for the details, I bought it at a LFS who did not call it that but I guess that is expected. Of course they also did not mention direct feeding.... so thank you for that as well. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new