Coral waste

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fine
All the ones that I had that were slowly acclimated to the raising of nitrates, hammer some zoas and acans, were fine. It was everything I introduced after the nitrates rose.
As for lowering it, I would get some regular salt (i.e. If using coral pro, use regular Red Sea) or if dosing just stop dosing. Or you could just let it go down normally (no water changes) if you can handle that with your nutrients.

OP
OP
cody2cannon

cody2cannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the ones that I had that were slowly acclimated to the raising of nitrates, hammer some zoas and acans, were fine. It was everything I introduced after the nitrates rose.
As for lowering it, I would get some regular salt (i.e. If using coral pro, use regular Red Sea) or if dosing just stop dosing. Or you could just let it go down normally (no water changes) if you can handle that with your nutrients.
I use instant ocean and i only have one clown in there so i feed once a day i think I'm going to wait an extra week and see if it lowers. Now if my calcium lowers which it should can i dose small amounts of calcium? That would lower the alk correct or is that a bad idea?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use instant ocean and i only have one clown in there so i feed once a day i think I'm going to wait an extra week and see if it lowers. Now if my calcium lowers which it should can i dose small amounts of calcium? That would lower the alk correct or is that a bad idea?

If this tank is not dominated by corals just stick to regular water replacements for replenishment. Do not dose alk or calcium to lower the other value, that is just too risky. If your tank show values close to NSW with the use of IO salt mix (which it should) dosing is more problematic than helpful.

Expelling zooxanthellae can most definitely be a result of issues with water chemistry.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if youre using regular instant ocean salt (not reef crystals), I would be more concerned with how your dkh got so high in the first place...

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals haven't evolved a butt yet, so give them a break on whether they are releasing food poop or whatever else through their one single body opening. ;)

And can I get a "heck yeah!" for the evolution of the butt?

If Tahoe got it right and it was expelling zooxanthellae (this looks like a cloud of brown versus a piece of poo) then I would suspect a lighting change as the real culprit, but that high alkalinity may be contributing to the effect. Even the added flow you mentioned may be contributing.

If everything else is looking good, I'm not sure I would spend too much time worrying about it. Does the torch coral also look fine aside from the pooping?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's more like oozing brown, then it could be infection...not uncommon as Euphillias are pretty easy to damage....not to mention the other random bad things than can happen and cause the same thing.

I don't know of a cure if that's what's happening.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything like this?

from Euphyllia issue
IMG_0330_2.jpg

OP
OP
cody2cannon

cody2cannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure it was me begginer mistake calcium was at 260 and alk was around 7 so I dosed but that was 2 weeks ago and I've done a WC since then. Last WC. I did this past sunday I stirred up the sandbed really good

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What product (or products) did you dose?

That's a pretty huge spike....I'm surprised there wasn't some more immediate fallout.

Has the brown stuff coming out looked anything like the stuff in the photo I posted a couple of posts back?

ReeferBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy dkh.....
That *usually* only works in low nutrient systems (granted all tanks are different) but any nitrates when you're over 11 dkh are pushing it. I had a 15 frag order bleach in 3 hours before I knew that. Why are you so high?
Probably not the cause of the poo but are your other corals doing ok?

I believe you have it backwards. Higher nutrients allow higher alkalinity. Alk burn occurs when nutrients are undetectable and alkalinity is high. Not saying 14dkh is good either but

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you have it backwards. Higher nutrients allow higher alkalinity. Alk burn occurs when nutrients are undetectable and alkalinity is high. Not saying 14dkh is good either but
I dont believe so...ULNS allows you to run higher dkh. I mean, I could be wrong, but I dont believe so lol
I cannot give you the "science" behind what happens because I dont know, maybe @saltyfilmfolks can explain it better?
That being said, Im sure someone-somewhere-runs higher nutrients (above 2ppm) in high dkh. Its not impossible. But for those of us (myself included) who arent experts, its best not to.
Personally, I had no issues with 12 dkh when my nutrients were 0 ppm...it was when it rose to 5 ppm that I had a bleaching event. I spent weeks getting it back into check before the bleaching stopped. Another 3 months before the corals came back. Now I run 9.2 dkh and between 3-5 ppm nitrates.
Edit: I also think its relative...at 14 dkh you may burn coral with no nutrients, but at 12 probably not.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot give you the "science" behind what happens because I dont know

Even the folks doing all the carbon dosing and complaining about "high alkalinity burn" or "burnt tips" can't explain the science...

It's related to carbon dosing which is generally a response to out of control nutrients.

Some folks (maybe most? all?) who carbon dose end up with a tank of corals that can no longer tolerate alkalinity much over 7.0 dKH....8 seems to be about their limit before they end up with physical problems on their corals. (Which end up a little disfigured and with naked zones ripe for invasion by algae, vermitid snails, etc.)

From the Nutrients section on my blog, these I think hint pretty strongly at the problem:

ReeferBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I had no issues with 12 dkh when my nutrients were 0 ppm...it was when it rose to 5 ppm that I had a bleaching event.

Doesn't add up, although true zero nutrients can and will pale corals to the point of bleaching. That or a swing in alkalinity occurred. Again... the higher the nutrients the higher alkalinity can be. They go hand in hand

ReeferBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back