Coralife protein skimmer + filter

CABIX_81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello R2R,
So i got my saltwater tank set almost a week ago and notice my water is dirty, im using a hang on coralife protien + filter skimmer (2-1).. but cant get the foam to be just right, and its filling up with water and little of micro bubbles.. any advice would help..

OP
OP
CABIX_81

CABIX_81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello R2R,
So i got my saltwater tank set almost a week ago and notice my water is dirty, im using a hang on coralife protien + filter skimmer (2-1).. but cant get the foam to be just right, and its filling up with water and little of micro bubbles.. any advice would help..
IMG_3152.jpeg

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello R2R,

There should be two adjustments, one for water height and one for bubbles. You have plenty of bubbles. You want to lower the water height so it doesn't skim so wet. It may also take a combination of lowering the height and adjusting the bubbles to get it just right.

It also takes time for a biofilm to develop which will help carry the waste over the top and into the skimmer cup. Is the tank stocked with any fish?

OP
OP
CABIX_81

CABIX_81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be two adjustments, one for water height and one for bubbles. You have plenty of bubbles. You want to lower the water height so it doesn't skim so wet. It may also take a combination of lowering the height and adjusting the bubbles to get it just right.

It also takes time for a biofilm to develop which will help carry the waste over the top and into the skimmer cup. Is the tank stocked with any fish?
This skimmer has only 1 valve and it has 2 reef fish. A baby convict tang,hawaiian squirrelfish. This is the protein skimmer + filter im using
IMG_3153.png

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This skimmer has only 1 valve and it has 2 reef fish. A baby convict tang,hawaiian squirrelfish. This is the protein skimmer + filter im using
IMG_3153.png
OK if there's only one adjustment then you'll need to restrict the air tube as much as possible. If the air line adjustment they give you isn't fine enough you can restrict the airflow with a paperclip or binder clip. You want the bubbles to break just near the top of the tube and barely spill over into the collection cup.

I'd turn off the skimmer, empty the cup, turn down the air all the way (off) and then slowly inch it up. If any amount of air is immediately filling the cup you might have to go the paperclip route.

OP
OP
CABIX_81

CABIX_81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK if there's only one adjustment then you'll need to restrict the air tube as much as possible. If the air line adjustment they give you isn't fine enough you can restrict the airflow with a paperclip or binder clip. You want the bubbles to break just near the top of the tube and barely spill over into the collection cup.

I'd turn off the skimmer, empty the cup, turn down the air all the way (off) and then slowly inch it up. If any amount of air is immediately filling the cup you might have to go the paperclip route.
Will do that when i get off work,, keep ya updated..

OP
OP
CABIX_81

CABIX_81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Still working on the skimmer like u said.. making it fine tune

OP
OP
CABIX_81

CABIX_81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im still fine tuning the skimmer, it was working as it should for about 12hrs , this morning i work up at container was filled with water again, dump the back water in container that was dirty, plug back in and let it skimm again, about 30min it wasn’t skimming,, notice my water tank got low about inch and a half, do u think this is casuing it to not skimm? Ill top it back up when i get of work this afternoon (hawaii time 3pm)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 127 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back