Coraline algae stops at water change line

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a pic of my tank. As you can see, the coraline algae does not grow past a certain point in my tank. This happens to be the line my water comes to when I do a water change. The water is only that low for about 15 minutes or so until I refill the tank.
Does this happen to anyone else? My nano tank does not have this issue. Only my larger tank. Strange.
7441707D-0BA8-43B8-8158-D12A0B6A67EE.jpeg

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are exposing the Coraline for air for too long and it's killing it off During a water change. It doesn't happen in your nano because it takes a lot less time to do a smaller water change.
This. I have a 40 gallon AIO and my back wall is covered in coralline algae up to the main waterline. When doing water changes half of the wall is exposed but probably for a maximum of 1-2 minutes. I typically have my fresh saltwater ready to be pumped into the tank as soon as I remove the dirty water. That way it minimizes the amount of time my corals are exposed to the air.

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy to think that 15-20 minutes of exposure every 2 weeks would kill off the coraline. I figured that was the cause but just hard to believe

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same line on my coraline on the back wall. For me, I think it cant grow higher becuase its not enough light, I mean from the angle of the light doesnt allow it to grow higher it has to grow down. Do you know what I mean?

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed definite die-off on what’s exposed during a water change, even for just a few minutes, but it always grows back, then dies off again after a water change. On areas I really want to preserve I splash tank water on it periodically while it’s exposed.

Back