Coralline Algae Back From The Dead? Look at this...

Lester Verano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I bought this RedSea Max 130D used. The previous owner was having great success by the looks of it, he had the sought after coralline algae everywhere. I had to drain the tank for transport. The coralline algae was left dry for about 9 hours give or take. What was once beautiful coralline algae all over the back wall turned completely stone white. I kissed it goodbye. NOW, after about a week, and as you can see from the photo, a huge area that used to be stone white is now coming back as something other than the white color.. could this be purple coralline algae fighting its way back? Was it not completely dead? Could the coralline algae have been so thickly grown, that only a superficial top layer died, and now the living algae underneath is emerging? please share with you your thoughts and experience on this. Thank You!
O
IMG_0006.jpg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not impossible. hard to see any color with the blue.

OP
OP
L

Lester Verano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not impossible. hard to see any color with the blue.
I will have pics coming soon. I recently moved the stylophora up in my tank near the top. It seems to love the light up there, and what's left of it is bursting with joy. I think it was either my poor to none temperature acclimation is what harmed it, or rough handling during tank transition. It literally peeled from tip down to middle. I wonder if the cavities left over will sprout new polyps or will the living tissue spread upwards over the branches again? not sure how this works...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back