Coralline algae booster

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I'm assuming this would be the right place to post this, but I don't know. I'm looking to increase the growth of coralline algae in my tank. I used to use purple up about 8 years ago in previous systems and it had worked wonders. I've tried a couple bottles worth recently and there seems to be no results. Also, I have tried red seas kh coralline formula and there seems to be no difference from the regular foundation kh. I was wondering if theres another product that is recommended. In those regards, my calcium is at 460 and alk is at about 9.5. I dont know my magnesium because neither I nor my lfs has a test for it. I used red sea coral pro salt

OP
OP
B

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a piece of real live rock and add it to your tank. If you dont want to put it in your tank just scrape off the coralline and add it to the tank and wait.
That's how I started my tank and every mixed reef I've had. I've never done the dry rock/bacteria thing. I always use live rock and add in a few pieces with coralline to initialize the growth. Then have added the purple up to have it really take off. Just seems like the product isn't what it used to be anymore.

OP
OP
B

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the tank has been up and running for about a year now which most of the rock and livestock was transferred from my tank before that I had set up for a couple years before that.

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a piece of real live rock and add it to your tank. If you dont want to put it in your tank just scrape off the coralline and add it to the tank and wait.
Go to your LFS and buy three or four small pieces of live rock rubble or empty snail shells that are covered in it and strategically place them in your tank. If you only get three or four pieces and you frequent your store they may even give them to you.

OP
OP
B

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got coralline in the tank, it just hasn't seemed to grow at any rate whether it be slow or fast. It has always remained in the same places, in the same spots, never getting any bigger

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose trace elements daily from day one. Corraline growth has been off the chart from whe
20200221_192508.jpg
n I did not dose them.
My tank is only 8 months old.

OP
OP
B

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering the trace elements. It would probably do well for the coral as well, but dont have tests for them. My only fear would be going overboard and dosing too much. I might just pick up a bottle and dose a couple mL a day for a while. Tank is 125 gallon with 30 gallon sump. I would assume a couple mL a day wouldnt harm too much?

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering the trace elements. It would probably do well for the coral as well, but dont have tests for them. My only fear would be going overboard and dosing too much. I might just pick up a bottle and dose a couple mL a day for a while. Tank is 125 gallon with 30 gallon sump. I would assume a couple mL a day wouldnt harm too much?
I dose trace elements daily from day one. Corraline growth has been off the chart from whe
20200221_192508.jpg
n I did not dose them.
My tank is only 8 months old.
Which trace elements are you using?

OP
OP
B

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, no, I dont have anything growing on overflows or glass other than baby snails and limpets galore.
20200302_175913.jpg
20200302_175848.jpg

Back