Coralline Algae losing deep purple color

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference, my tank ranges from 76 degrees in the winter to this or even higher in the summer.
61EBD76D-2994-49AC-BD44-375BC3A231D5.jpeg
A66A52CE-A8F1-4E08-9289-7D432BB1B750.jpeg
7DF95A75-F049-400F-91EB-E99B0AA3DDB4.jpeg

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of doubt it specific to heat and instead could be trace-related. I have new coralline popping up on a daily basis on my front panel which drives me up the wall. The rest of my coralline is still dark red and purple. Again, my tank has been over 84.5 degrees for last month and this week thanks to our heat wave, is sitting at 85.2. Last september, it hit 86 degrees. Still no changes in coloration. I do periodic water changes with reef crystals, so maybe the coralline is getting what it needs from that.
If your tank doesn't normally hit 85 then that could be the issue, yes. Corals are more resistant to high temps if they've been exposed to it before - but if it's unusual for your setup that could cause some issues.

Parameters would help.
Also wondering- is the coraline itself brown or is brown growing on top of it?
What is Calc and magnesium at
No it's not a brownish growth on top of rock... Its hard to explain. I just ordered fresh Cal and Mag test, mine where dated...lol. I never just Cal and Mag in all these years as I just have never had to. One very solid system... till this. lol

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank doesn't normally hit 85 then that could be the issue, yes. Corals are more resistant to high temps if they've been exposed to it before - but if it's unusual for your setup that could cause some issues.

Parameters would help.
Also wondering- is the coraline itself brown or is brown growing on top of it?
What is Calc and magnesium at

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the heat. If you didn’t add any new supplements to tank and alk and calcium have been steady. I think it’s the heat. Only other thing I seen kill coraline is exposing to air too long and big swing in alk.
I will check ALK as I only check it about every two weeks.. Via apex and doser... Dosing Tropic Marin and it was dosing at 9:30 yesterday I saw it.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's not a brownish growth on top of rock... Its hard to explain. I just ordered fresh Cal and Mag test, mine where dated...lol. I never just Cal and Mag in all these years as I just have never had to. One very solid system... till this. lol
Its always good to test at least once a month. If not have them around when you see something off. Let us know the numbers my bet is the mag will be in the 1100 range.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%

Back