Coralline Algae non existent

NTar11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank up and running for 2 years now but have zero coralline algae growth. 62gal Tideline aio. I am assuming it most certainly has something to do with parameters. I did some tests today and I am hoping for some advice. From reading it sounds like the best way to bring most of these back in check is larger water changes? I am looking to get on the right track to start having some coral pieces that stand a chance at thriving. Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Calcium over 500 Salifert test
Magnesium over 1500 Salifert test
Alk. 10.9 Salifert test
Phosphate with Hanna ULR 0.00

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank up and running for 2 years now but have zero coralline algae growth. 62gal Tideline aio. I am assuming it most certainly has something to do with parameters. I did some tests today and I am hoping for some advice. From reading it sounds like the best way to bring most of these back in check is larger water changes? I am looking to get on the right track to start having some coral pieces that stand a chance at thriving. Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Calcium over 500 Salifert test
Magnesium over 1500 Salifert test
Alk. 10.9 Salifert test
Phosphate with Hanna ULR 0.00
What is the nitrate level? Do you dose trace elements?

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing it was but going to ask. Was this a dry rock start?
and What have you put in your tank over the two years?
also what do you do for maintenance water changes,skimming,products used and so on?

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daily 10% water changes for 10 days, turn off your skimmer and feed the fish 3 times a day, and get a chunk of fresh real live rock. This should reset your numbers, raise your phosphates, and start your coralline growth.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have Urchins? Most will eat all the Coralline. My Tuxedo Urchins, seem to leave the Coralline alone.

OP
OP
NTar11

NTar11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish do you have? Also if you're using reef crystals instant ocean would mix at a lower alk
I currently have only 3 fish. I am using reef crystals. Considering switching back to something else. This is my second bucket of salt in the two years. First was rpm the red for high alk. Probably went wrong from jump with that.

OP
OP
NTar11

NTar11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing it was but going to ask. Was this a dry rock start?
and What have you put in your tank over the two years?
also what do you do for maintenance water changes,skimming,products used and so on?
Yes started dry. I have used micro bacter 7. But haven’t used that much in the last 6 months to a year. I do water changes once or twice a month, and I was running a skimmer but about 3 months ago I stopped because it was no longer working properly. No other products.

OP
OP
NTar11

NTar11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use to check the Salinity? With those high levels unless your salt mixes that high my guess is your Salinity is high. Maybe take some to a local fish store and have them check.
Hanna checker it’s at 1.027-1.028 I know it’s a little on the high side.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes started dry. I have used micro bacter 7. But haven’t used that much in the last 6 months to a year. I do water changes once or twice a month, and I was running a skimmer but about 3 months ago I stopped because it was no longer working properly. No other products.
A tank shot would also help

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just need to seed the tank with something with coralline on it, this could be one of many things but probably your best bet is live rock, it shouldn’t take longer than around 1-2 months to see coralline algae growth.
Try to bring your salinity down if that number is correct and your parameters Alk, cal, and mag may even fall into line, they should be a lot closer to desired numbers.

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also do this slowly over a few days if you do have living things in your tank to avoid shock.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your magnesium is very low you need to get it up to at least 1350 , better yet 1400.
88E829D2-F359-40C3-A462-9BCD82F8E560.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back